Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chanreasey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sopheap OUCH

Veeam server running slowly after migrate raid 1 to raid 5

Post by chanreasey »

Hello everybody,

Now I am working on veeam 6.0. For repository stored on network share (QNAP). At the first time on qnap used raid 1, when I running backup jobs take only 20 minutes and some jobs take 30 minutes depend on size of vm. But after migrated hard disk from raid 1 to raid 5, the duration of backup have been changed from 20 minutes to 50 minutes and from 30 to 1 hour and half. But all data and all jobs backup successfully for backup no error during backup times.

Can any one help me about this problem? I don't know the problem come from Veeam server or network share (QNAP)? Please help me show the solution, how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam server running slowly after migrate raid 1 to raid

Post by dellock6 »

With small amount of disks in the raid, RAID1 has better write performances than RAID5 due to parity calculations. On the other side, raid5 gives you much more space and is a value for this type of storages. If you are fine with the time it takes, you can stay with raid5 anyway.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
chanreasey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sopheap OUCH

Post by chanreasey »

Hello,

If I want to use raid 5, Do you have any solution that can take only short time?

Big Thanks,
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Qnap is a cheap but limited product regarding its performances. A part from using faster commodity disks, one trick could be to connect the QNAP as an iscsi device to a Veeam Repository instead of reaching the qnap directly via CIFS; in this way the computation activities of the writes can be partially offloaded to the Repository: supposing the repository is on a modern X86 processor and can have a good amount of ram, it will be better than the Atom processor of the QNAP itself.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1