Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rogersillars

Large VMs over a WAN

Post by rogersillars »

Hi everyone

We have two few large file servers (both over 800GB) that we want to replicate via Veeam over a 50Mpbs WAN link. We are replicating the rest of our VMs between two cities and it is working perfectly, however we haven't ever done something this size with v6. We tried on v5 and to be honest it didn't work well, v6 is a vast improvement on v5. The data concerned is already being replicated via another product so WAN capacity seems fine. However we want to simplify things a bit and use Veeam if possible. I realise seeding the data would be a wise idea but is there anything else we should be concerned about? I was also planning on having a job for each server just to separate things a little. Is this of any benefit?

I realise this is bit late but I would also like to say thanks to Veeam for their great product(s) and support they gave through our recovery after the massive 2011 Christchurch earthquake. We lost our largest office and kept our systems running, thankfully we had no loss of life or injuries. Since then we have a new office, improved systems and use the statement 'what are the chances' very carefully. Veeam is in the centre of our of our DR plans. Well done everyone, keep the improvements coming!

Roger
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Large VMs over a WAN

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Roger, keeping VMs separated in different jobs is a choice for your management, it does not impact performances since inside a job every VM is processed sequentially, if you are going to run many jobs, do your tests with cuncurrency settings on the involved proxies to avoid WAN saturation, even if 50 Mbps is already a good number.
And yes, seeding is the way to go to replicate big VMs. The biggest concern anyway, once seeding is in place,is the amount of CBT blocks between two runs of the same replication. High I/O VMs will be always hard to replicate independently of the initial size.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

rogersillars wrote:I realise seeding the data would be a wise idea but is there anything else we should be concerned about?
Yes, seeding is definitely a good idea when replicating remotely. If you need, you can find a step-by-step instructions here. Also, please consider these considerations regarding replication over WAN, could be useful.
rogersillars wrote:I realise this is bit late but I would also like to say thanks to Veeam for their great product(s) and support they gave through our recovery after the massive 2011 Christchurch earthquake. We lost our largest office and kept our systems running, thankfully we had no loss of life or injuries. Since then we have a new office, improved systems and use the statement 'what are the chances' very carefully. Veeam is in the centre of our of our DR plans. Well done everyone, keep the improvements coming!
Thanks for your kind words! Very appreciated.
rogersillars

Post by rogersillars »

Great, thank you both.