Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Licensing question

Post by bhwong »

1. How do I get sockets back into the license pool for ESXi that have failed and unable to power up anymore?

2. Do I need license for both ESXi (source and destination) for migration jobs?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Licensing question

Post by foggy »

Both questions are covered in the sticky FAQ topic, please review.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

foggy wrote:Both questions are covered in the sticky FAQ topic, please review.
I can't find the answer anywhere in the FAQ except for the below that I'm not very sure is answering my question:

I have removed some hosts from my environment, can I get their sockets back into the license pool?
A: Yes. Just select the host, and click Revoke in the license management dialog.

So is it still possible to revoke a host that can no longer be power up in order to revoke it????

The FAQ also doesn't mention anything on migration between 2 ESXi as well. So do we need licenses for both or just the source migrating from????
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

bhwong wrote:I can't find the answer anywhere in the FAQ except for the below that I'm not very sure is answering my question:

I have removed some hosts from my environment, can I get their sockets back into the license pool?
A: Yes. Just select the host, and click Revoke in the license management dialog.

So is it still possible to revoke a host that can no longer be power up in order to revoke it????
It doesn't matter whether the host is simply removed from environment or has died - you can revoke the license from it in any case at any time.
bhwong wrote:The FAQ also doesn't mention anything on migration between 2 ESXi as well. So do we need licenses for both or just the source migrating from????
All the Veeam B&R licensing regards to the source hosts only. Only hosts you are backing up/replicating/migrating VMs on are licensed.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Post by bhwong »

All the Veeam B&R licensing regards to the source hosts only. Only hosts you are backing up/replicating/migrating VMs on are licensed.
Thanks! Can I safety state that it is possible and does not require any license to restore or to migrate the VMs back from the unlicensed ESXi host right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

bhwong wrote:Thanks! Can I safety state that it is possible and does not require any license to restore or to migrate the VMs back from the unlicensed ESXi host right?
If you are talking about restoring VMs to the unlicensed host, then yes, this is possible. To migrate the VM from the host, you need to have this host licensed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

bhwong wrote:The FAQ also doesn't mention anything on migration between 2 ESXi as well. So do we need licenses for both or just the source migrating from????
It does. Please, read the FAQ more carefully:
Q: How the product is licensed?
A: Per physical CPU socket of "source" hypervisor host where processed virtual machines reside. Destination hosts (for replication, and migration jobs) do not need to be licensed. Hosts running virtual machines which are not being processed by Veeam do not need to be licensed, even if they are a part of the same cluster.