Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
patrack
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Alvarez

Remote office architecture

Post by patrack »

Dear community,

After some years just hearing about veeam B&R, I finally have a project in which i would implement this product.
here is a newcomer.

I need you help on best practice to define backups and replications. I did not really find answers in the forum (probably my fault)

BTW, here is the concerns :
We have a main office with a vSphere infrastructure, several ESXi, VMs, Enterprise backup solution ..

We have some Branch offices in which we need to provide some services :
2 physical hosts per site, with local storage only. About 10/12 VMs in total. Each physical server is able to host all VMs. LAN
All VMs that are running on one host are backuped up on the second host.
Retention of 2 weeks, Backup up every hour for BCP.
These VMs needs to be replicated in the Main Office for disaster recovery and long term backup on tape. Over the WAN, so with the less amount of data possible..
OF course, tradtionnal needs (file level restore, quick recovery of full VM ...)
The main office will be the management site for all branch offices.

For the moment, i plan to use one VM in main office for central management of all jobs (With some delegation). This VM would also be a proxy and repository. This repository will be backed up on tape.
In remote site, I plan to deploy one proxy+repository per ESX host.

What would be the best :
- Replicas with enough recovery points in local, then Backup jobs in the main office
- Local backup jobs, and replicas in main office

I hope I've explained correctly my case.

Thanks in advance for your help (Or links to similar topics :roll: )
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Re: Remote office architecture

Post by Gostev »

Hi Patrick,
Since replication is limited by about 30 restore points, you have to do backup with hourly backups for 2 weeks.
Thanks!
patrack
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Alvarez

Post by patrack »

Thanks Gostev for the quick answer.

Would that be a good solution to do local replicas every two hours. And do a hourly backup of this replica in main office ? And also in the local site for the 2 weeks retention.

This would limitate the number of snapshots on the VMs.

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Post by Gostev »

patrack wrote:Would that be a good solution to do local replicas every two hours. And do a hourly backup of this replica in main office?
This will work fine, but why do you want to backup the replica more often than you update that replica? Every other incremental backup will be empty this way...