Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pcmmitham
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Pierre Mitham

has anyone actually been able to successfuly replicate??

Post by pcmmitham »

we've been working on this for months and have the ticketes to prove it!! replication only seems to be vialbe if it's on the local network!!

we've proven that 1. throttling doesn't work! I have the screen shots to prove it! we have the throttling set at 3mbps but veeam completely ignores that and pushes the data as fast as the connection will take it!! thats not throttling!

replication to rmote sites is dicey at best. we've never acheived more than 20% overall success rates! we have other replication technologies for remote data servers in place that have been running for years. Veeam has yet to prove that it can replicate.

has anyone been able to reliably replicate offsite on a regular basis??? if anyone has some suggestions to make this work, I'd love to get some tips from them!! yes I have a ticket in with support, but as with all tickets, they cant be set at anything more urgent than level 3 its th only option when submitting a ticket!!
pcmmitham
Influencer
Full Name: Pierre Mitham

Re: has anyone actually been able to successfuly replicate??

Post by pcmmitham »

based om my experience so far with veeam, it's great for backup, but I'd look elsewhere for the replication part! replication to the LAN is great, but it's ability to replicate to the WAN...not so much! we've been working on it for 4 months with no success, we've upgraded, internet connections, upgraded firewalls, upgraded our steelheads... with always the same end result 80-90% failure rate.

and we do replicate with other software over the same links successfully!!! at different times of the day!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I work with clients every day that are using Veeam replicaiton for dozens, and in some cases hundreds of VMs. It works reliably and without issue. It's impossible to know what problems you are experiencing since you simply asked if "anyone" has it working, but I can assure you that it works well when used within it's design limitation and with proper architecture.
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Post by bhwong »

Sad to hear that Veeam replication has high failure rate! :(

You still can't find the cause of it?
Was the remote site able to receive something at all?
Can the replication tolerate frequency disconnection and continue it's job after the connection has been re-established?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Most likely a connection-related issue. Actually, Veeam B&R can successfully work with any TCP/IP connection that does not physically drop. It could be very low bandwidth and high latency connection with minor packet loss, the job fails in case of a tangible disconnection only. And there is no resume transfer functionality so far but the job will automatically retry and process the failed VMs.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

I am replicating 40 VM's to our WAN DR site fine (10 Mb)...throttling works a treat...replication at WAN DR sites is very much dependant on your line stability, connection and latency.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Re: What is the largest environment being backed up

Post by homerjnick »

bhwong wrote:Sad to hear that Veeam replication has high failure rate! :(

You still can't find the cause of it?
Was the remote site able to receive something at all?
Can the replication tolerate frequency disconnection and continue it's job after the connection has been re-established?
It doesn't...that poster has already created a thread stating how his replication fails but provides no details on his scenario...replication works a treat in Veeam...I have successfully replicated our VM's (100 of them) to a 10Mb and 2Mb site fine...as has many others.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bhwong wrote:Sad to hear that Veeam replication has high failure rate!
Actually the feedback from everyone else proves the opposite. :wink: Please take a look at this thread: v6 WAN Replication - Wow!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

pcmmitham wrote:we've proven that 1. throttling doesn't work! I have the screen shots to prove it! we have the throttling set at 3mbps but veeam completely ignores that and pushes the data as fast as the connection will take it!! thats not throttling!
In all cases I've seen so far there were configuration issues with picking up the right proxy, that is why traffic throttling didn't work for some customers.
KevinBeaumont
Influencer
Full Name: Kevin Beaumont

Post by KevinBeaumont »

We replicate 1tb of our VMs across the country using Veeam. Never had any problems. We've done test failovers, too, and fail backs.
Dotan
Novice
Full Name: Dotan

Post by Dotan »

I am successfully replicating 4 VMs from HQ to remote site on a nightly basis. These VMs range from 60Gb to 350GB in size. I am also replicating a 150GB VM from the remote site back to HQ without a hitch. I am, however, having no luck getting a larger VM to replicate to the remote site. The VM is 950GB big, was successfully seeded, digest blocks were calculated but it fails in transmission, in different job stages. Error messages are mainly the one below. For what it is worth, I do have a monitoring system that verifies link and remote site availability and it never indicates an issue with the link between the sites. Is there an option/registry tweak that can keep the job from failing due to minor hiccups or a few dropped packets?

ERROR: "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command."

I have a ticket open with Support but I am curious to know what the mods and other experts think.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Dotan wrote:Is there an option/registry tweak that can keep the job from failing due to minor hiccups or a few dropped packets?
There is no such registry tweak, but Veeam can replicate even if you have few packets lost, on the other hand if there is a connection drop, we cannot handle it.
rvopat
Influencer

Post by rvopat »

Just out of curiosity, are you doing this over a site to site vpn? and if so what is your hardware on either end?

We have V6 working over our ASA to ASA site to site vpn and it works great (meaning we have an asa here and an asa in remote site), we recently purchased a cisco 2921 router and if we move the connection from our asa to the router (asa at remote site and 2921 router here) replication fails for no apparent reason with the similar disconnect. As memory serves that was on larger jobs with greater than 5 or 6 gb of changes, but on a smaller job say 2 gb or less it seemed to work, but i may be remembering wrong. Depending on your reply i may have to move it and test again for my own curiosity sake

You have me curious as to what your hardware is.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Dotan wrote:Is there an option/registry tweak that can keep the job from failing due to minor hiccups or a few dropped packets?
Actually, I have some good news for you. We are currently working on adding some enhancements to make Veeam engine more resistant to network packet loss. Chances are, we will include this into the patch release for 6.1, so that you don't have to wait for the next major release. Now, we just need to get enough bad bugs reported to justify patch release... which appears quite a task with 6.1 ;)