Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jldwyer1420
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Dwyer

CSV fails when backup - hdw provider has to switch Owner

Post by jldwyer1420 »

Looking for fix on a consistent issue. My VBR backups work 100% when the VM is running on the host that owns the CSV the VM resides on. When the VM is running on a host that does NOT own the CSV, (using hdw provider), it has to swich owner on the CSV. After ~1 min. the CSV fails and puts all VMs in saved state until failover occurs.

Ex: VM01 physically resides on CSV1 and running on HOST4. HOST4 is the owner of CSV1. BACKUP SUCCESSFUL.
VM01 physically resides on CSV1 and running on HOST6. HOST4 is the owner of CSV1. CSV1 status FAILS when trying to switch owner to HOST6.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: CSV fails when backup - hdw provider has to switch Owner

Post by foggy »

Jeff, I can see you've already created a support case on this issue, which is actually the right step as logs should be definitely reviewed here.

Also, we are close to the release of version 6.1, which is much more stable regarding CSV processing and has all the available hotfixes integrated in it.
jldwyer1420
Influencer

Post by jldwyer1420 »

Thx foggy. Any specifics on 'much more stable'? Is there a "what's fixed in v6.1" doc I can review?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The corresponding document describing the major changes will be available with the release. Maybe Anton can also provide some information about fixes here.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jeff, what you are describing should have been fixed by patch #3 for 6.0, do you have this deployed? I do not have detailed document on all the fixes, but 6.1 has updated changed block tracking design with many reliability enhancements, specifically around support for 3rd party software (as we found antiviruses to be the root cause for most of these problems - they literally "brake" the OS to make it harder for viruses). Anyway, 6.1 should be released next week, so you will be able to test it very soon. Thanks!
jldwyer1420
Influencer

Post by jldwyer1420 »

i have version 6.0.0.181 x64. My last test, about 3 wks ago resulted in the error I mentioned. We'll see if v6.1 fixes issue for me. Other than this one issue, (CSV failing), the VBR is rock solid. Thx for the input.