Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mikewebb
Lurker
Liked: never

Moving Backups to USB Hard Drive

Post by mikewebb »

I know this has been addressed, however, after searching I can't find the topic.

I have Veeam doing backups, I need to keep these backups for 60 days, I do not have the disk space for this. So I want to move some of the backups off to a large USB Hard drive at certain intervals.

1 - How do I do this, what do I move so that the backup will continue to work, and what do I do when and if I need to restore.

2 - There was an awesome post that showed how to write a powershell script to delete and send an email when it was time to change the drive, does anyone know how to do this or know where the comment is? I tried searching, but I must be searching the wrong terms.

Thank you very much!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving Backups to USB Hard Drive

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Typically the rule of thumb is to copy the entire backup chain, VBK plus VRB or VIB (depends on the backup mode you've chosen). When it comes to a restore procedure, you will have to import just VBK file or VBK plus VRB/VIBs (the restore points) to the backup console.

There are multiple ways to offload backup files to a removable media. You can do it either via post-backup job script automatically or do it manually (depends on a desired schedule/intervals). Here is an existing topic, where you can take some knowledge from: Replicating backups offsite

By the way If you're going to use rotated USB drives as destination targets for the backup job, then you should follow the instruction form this topic in order not to brake the backup process: Veeam Backup & Removable Media (rotated drives)

Is this the script that you've been searching for? Couldn't find anything closer than this...
JCDavis64
Lurker
Full Name: Jim Davis

Litigaton hold - 999 restore points

Post by JCDavis64 »

[merged]

Hello,
Due to pending litigation we are required now to maintain all copies of electronic files so nothing can be permanently deleted. I change our backup setting to be 999 restore points. Our 500 GB Exchange/file server has about 25GB of changed data daily. This is eating up all my repository space quickly.
I'm looking for some advice for the best solution to this problem. The backup is weekly full with forward incremental. Can I just move the incrementals to external usb's after the new full is completed on weekends? If I do that and need to access a file from months ago will I be able to tell Veeam where to find the correct file?
Any better suggestions?
Thanks - Jim
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Litigaton hold - 999 restore points

Post by foggy »

JCDavis64 wrote:If I do that and need to access a file from months ago will I be able to tell Veeam where to find the correct file?
With Enterprise version you can use Enterprise Manager UI to search in old backups that were offloaded from the repository to another location (note that restore points data is kept for the amount of months specified under Configuration > Settings).
JCDavis64
Lurker
Full Name: Jim Davis

Re: Moving Backups to USB Hard Drive

Post by JCDavis64 »

Perfect - I do have Enterprise so I'll check that out. Thanks.