Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

Placeholder VMs

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,

We're using VMware SRM and it generates Placeholder VMs which are then monitored by Veeam One. Is there a way to exclude these type of VMs to get a more accurate picture of the environment?

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Placeholder VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael,

Could you please clarify what exactly you would like to exclude? Alarms for these VMs?

Thanks!
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,

I'd like to exclude them from the count of monitored objects so in the dashboard (top level infrastructure view) when it tells me I've 118 systems (virtual machine state), these are actual VMs, and not made up of 50% placeholders! We're doing P2V's on a new environment and it would be great to use this figure as an accurate count of the servers migrated. Counting and monitoring the placeholder VMs just confuses us!

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case I would suggest you to use a Business View component to differentiate "placeholder" VMs and actual VMs. This should be done via creation of categorization rules (dynamic or static), these rules will allow you to see the "true" picture of your environment.

For additional information please take a look at Veeam ONE categorization capabilities in our User Guide (page 135), should be useful. Thanks!
regnak2012
Influencer

Post by regnak2012 »

Sounds good, we'll try that - thanks for the swift response!

Mike