Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
egroeg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: George Kenny

Veean Backup 2 Disk - then Symantec to Tape

Post by egroeg »

Standard Veeam Backup to disk, then a very long tape backup (48 hours) - during this period Veeam then has error as it cannot communicate to the vbk files.

Is there a standard fix for this configuration - perhaps using AIFO on Backup Exec?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veean Backup 2 Disk - then Symantec to Tape

Post by foggy »

George, what backup method do you use? If you are using reverse incremental, then you could switch to forward incremental as it is optimized for tapes integration and requires less time to offload backup files to tape.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

egroeg wrote:Standard Veeam Backup to disk, then a very long tape backup (48 hours) - during this period Veeam then has error as it cannot communicate to the vbk files.

Is there a standard fix for this configuration - perhaps using AIFO on Backup Exec?
48 hours? Wow quite long time. What's the amount of data you are offloading to tape?

I would also suggest to use forward incremental like foggy posted before. That way you could just offload the daily incrementals to tape so it would be much faster. Thats how i'm doing it at one of my customers with weekly synthetic fulls and transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks (to keep just one full backup file).
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

check this out in my blog "Integration Veeam Backup with Symantec Backup Exec 2010"
http://dailyvmtech.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... exec-2010/

Thanks,