Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TechCAC
Novice
Liked: never

Replication errors after upgrade VMware 4.1 to VMware 5.0

Post by TechCAC »

2nd attempt, since my previous topic is deleted. Always fun such moderation, without any remark or message to my address. If this topic gets deleted again without any message why, I'm going up to support.management at Veeam (!)

We have a problem with Veeam6 replication, after upgrading the source vCenter & hosts (live site) from VMware/VSphere4 to VMware/VSphere 5.0 update1.
In this live site we have a dedicated virtual Veeam Backup & Replication server + proxy on Windows 2008R2.
The target (dr site) vCenter/host is still on VMware/VSphere 4.1, with also a virtual Veeam proxy server overthere on Windows2008R2.

The replication jobs from live to DR site start failing now with the message 'Processing configuration Error : Unable to get summary form vm', see screenshot:

In the target site vCenter, I see after a failed replica job an italic-greyed out vm stating "vmname_replica (invalid)"

I removed existing replica's, replica jobs, metadata in the repository, etc... and tried again, no solution.
I also removed and re-entered the upgraded source vCenter server in Veeam B&R.

Anyone has an idea or solution about this behaviour?
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Re: Replication errors after upgrade VMware 4.1 to VMware 5.

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
Believe or not, I faced the same issue and I started all the replication for scratch, I had a success attempt to replicate from 5.0 to 4.1, the replica VM started fine but after second replication, the replica VM gives a BLUE Screen. This is because different VM architecture between source and destination on different version.

After I upgraded my destination vSphere Infrastructure to 5.0 and started a fresh replication as all the VMs upgraded from HW 7 to HW8 all replication went fine.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please be sure to update your post with the support case ID, or this topic will be removed soon according to the forum rules. Your previous post was deleted as violating the rules of posting technical issues provided when you click New Topic. Please note that this is not a support forum in the first place (the purpose of this forum is also explained in the same place).
TechCAC
Novice

Post by TechCAC »

@foggy: Please clearify this for me, as I don't really understand what you are saying now. I run 2 forums myself, but I've never heard such statement...

I post an issue with Veeam we have, and it is violating againt the rules of this forum???
On the official Veeam website, under "support", there is stated "other support options > the veeam support forum". If this forum is not for support and interaction with other users, what's the purpose of this forum then? And why can other users open topics with technical issues? I see lots of topics with technical issues by scrolling down the forum.
It seems pretty obvious to me that before I submit a support case to the helpdesk, I check this forum for existing topics and/or I open a topic myself to interact with other users who have maybe already got a similar problem and a solution for me. If so, I have to bother the Veeam helpdesk only when necessary for serious cases where nobody on this forum has any answer for.

So back on topic, if it is allowed... :roll:
I'm curious to get some more input. Thanks habibalby for your insight, if someone can confirm this, we will upgrade the vSphere architecture in the DR site to latest 5.0 also.

EDIT: since you want me to bother Veeam support also (my plan was to wait and see first if someone has a solution over here), the ticket number is #5195311 :roll:
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

All your questions are answered in this topic and also this one (referenced each time you click the New Topic button to post something). Please kindly review them for the clarification. Everybody posting about technical issues includes their support case ID (for the reasons also described in the mentioned topic).

Regarding your issue, yes, virtual hardware versions between your source and target sites should be compatible. Replication to earlier versions is generally not supported (this is covered in the release notes document included with your download). If your source VMs already have virtual hardware v8 and your target hosts still does not know what it is (since it's having v7), the jobs will fail.
TechCAC
Novice

Post by TechCAC »

Now we're getting somewhere... I've also submitted the ticket nr in my previous post.

I've checked the release notes, and I guess you refer to this line. On page 6, Known Issues - General - VMware ->
Restore and replication of VMs between different ESX(i) versions requires that VM’s virtual hardware version is compatible with the target host.

A vCenter5 can manage mixed ESXi 4.1 and 5.0 hosts without any problem.
But for the purpose of Veeam replication, both the ESXi hosts in source and target site, must be on the same ESXi level (and same virtual hardware level)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not exactly, just the virtual hardware versions should be supported by the corresponding hosts. For example, you can replicate virtual hardware v7 VMs from ESXi 5 to ESXi 4.1, but cannot replicate virtual hardware v8 VMs to ESXi 4.1.
TechCAC
Novice

Post by TechCAC »

OK, that clarifies the issue.
We will schedule the update of the target site to vSphere 5.0 also and test again.

In meantime I've received update from Veeam support also, saying the same solution.