Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mjkohn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mitch Kohn

Move my Veeam backups off of my SAN

Post by mjkohn »

Hello,

I need to move my Veeam backups off of my Compellent SAN. I found a Dell NX3100 (eight 3 TB near inline SAS drives/12 GB of RAM, CIFS, iSCSI, NFS and Windows 2008 Storage server). Our consultant found a Dell PowerVault MD3200i (twelve 2 TB NLSAS 6 GB drives, iSCSI). Which would work better with Veeam to move all of my repositories to?
He also recommended a Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 with 24 TB of storage.

Thanks,

Mitch
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Move my Veeam backups off of my SAN

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mitch,

There is an existing discussion around MD3200i acting as a target repository for VM backups, please check it out: PS6100 source, MD3000i target

Alternatively, if you search these forums you will find lots of other topics where our community members have already shared their own experience with using different storage devices for saving Veeam backup files > recommendations for veeam backup storage

Hope this helps!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I think another consideration you need to do is about your desired RTO and the backup window you can afford.

Different backup methods put different I/O load on the backup storage, and fastest restore time (apart from using Instant Recovery) are obtained via reverse incremental (or daily fulls...) since the last version is always a full backup, but this method requires 3x I/O for every saved bit, this is going to have an impact on the backup storage. I have no experience with the ReadyNAS products, but if your consultant knows it well, try to check first how much I/O that hardware can load...slower storage means longer backups, but if the backup time you will get is ok, there is no problem in using a and cheaper storage.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mjkohn
Novice

Post by mjkohn »

We will be using two methods for our Veeam backups. We will be going with a Dell NX3100 with 24 TB and a Dell PowerVault MD 3600i. I will be then move my Veeam database over to the NX3100 and installing Veeam there. The fun part will be moving the actual backup files over to it. Then again, I won't need to do that if I move the database over? Has anyone ever migrated from a VMware server to a physical server? Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mjkohn wrote:The fun part will be moving the actual backup files over to it. Then again, I won't need to do that if I move the database over?
To move your backup files you need to follow this pretty simple procedure:

1. create repository on the target storage
2. copy backups
3. rescan repository
4. update repository in the backup job settings
5. set job mapping to the correct backup

Keep in mind that Veeam database is just used for storing jobs configuration data, so moving backup files to a new repository does not have any effect on the database.
mjkohn wrote:Has anyone ever migrated from a VMware server to a physical server?
I'm a bit confused by your question...are you trying to migrate Veeam Server or vCenter server?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I think Mitch means moving Veeam server from installation in a virtual machine to a physical server... and yes you can, as long as you save and restore the Veeam database. The NX3100 is running Windows Storage Server 2008 so is a good fit for Veeam Server (and obviously the repository role!).
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mjkohn
Novice

Post by mjkohn »