Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Veeam successful backup but VSS error

Post by m.novelli »

I have a Windows 2008 SP2 VM on vSphere 4.0 U1 backupped by Veeam 4.1.1

Veeam backups are reported as successfull, but on the VM I get always a VSS error when the backups stars (sorry it is an Italian language system)

Errore del servizio Copia Shadow del volume: errore imprevisto durante la ricerca dell'interfaccia IVssWriterCallback. hr = 0x80070005. L'errore è spesso causato da impostazioni di protezione non corrette nel processo di scrittura o richiedente.

Operazione:
Raccolta dei dati del processo di scrittura

Contesto:
ID della classe del processo di scrittura: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Nome del processo di scrittura: System Writer
ID dell'istanza del processo di scrittura: {cb9b4cda-e3a4-4225-9b4a-3bcc739463a3}

The Event ID is 8194 and the source is VSS.
The "vssadmin list writers" command report the "system writers" as OK

Should I worry?

Many thanks,

Marco
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Re: Veeam successful backup but VSS error

Post by TrevorBell »

hi ,

english would be easier as the majority of us are english speaking, try babelfish or goggle translator and post back, we are here to help but limited to the language you use

trev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marco,

I would recommend you to look through this KB article to check if can ignore the error or not:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx

Speranza che aiuta!
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Let me re-open this topic.
I am facing the same problem as Marco (I am Italian as well, but I don't think this is the issue...).
I use Veeam 6 on vShoere 5.
I read the article on page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx but at the end of the article, after performing the suggested checks,the hit is "contact the backup software vendor that created the VSS requester application".
What can I do to perform an additional troubleshooting and detect if I can safely ignore the error or not?
Regards
Mario
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since Marco never came back I believe it might be safe to ignore this error. Btw, do you have any other VM that triggers the same event?
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

At the end of the story I solved my issue reinstalling the virtual machine from scratch

I manage many customers with vSphere and Veeam Backups and once or twice a year it happens that a virtual machines starts having VSS issues. To me seems to be more frequent on VM with Microsoft SQL Server. After some troubleshooting generally I have to reinstall the VM from scratch

Marco