Management reporting and documentation
Andrea
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrea Caven

inactive versus active desktops

Post by Andrea »

We are currently using BMC as our capacity planning tool for our VM farms however, we have recently got VEEM and I was wondering how it it works under the covers. In our Environments all our virtual desktops are sitting at the Ctl alt delete screen so are all booted up waiting for someone to login and once they do the apps are downloaded. Using the BMC tool I can see that we have 370 desktops taking load however, not all of these desktops are active, maybe half are active, but comparing an active desktop with an non active desktop there is very little difference in ghz. Does VEEM do something different from the BMC tool? How does it distinguish an Active desktop from an non active desktop? I'm trying to work out how many active desktops at peak time can fit into our DR site should we have a DR situation. I'm hoping this is the right forum apologies if not - its all very new to me the forums.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: inactive versus active desktops

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the Community forums!

To define inactive VMs (desktops) I would recommend you to look at "Idle VMs report. This report will show you a list of idle VMs with very low CPU, memory, disk and network utilization. Given that you have very little difference in GHz usage, I'm pretty sure that active desktops will consume a lot more disk I/O, network and memory resources.

Hope this helps!
Andrea
Novice

Post by Andrea »

Thanks for your quick response....I will check this out.
Andrea
Novice

Post by Andrea »

Hi there

I check out this out however, I only had a report called idle vm's but when I ran the report it was reporting storage capactiy? We have a number of differen reports but I'm not sure that from what is available I will get what I need from them. Is there any way to get the layout of the table structure within the database to run a query to get what I need?
Cheers
Andrea
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Are you using Veeam ONE v6 to create this report?
Andrea
Novice

Post by Andrea »

Hi - Thanks for your reply.

I dont actually know what version we are running - how can I tell? -The report came from the "get to know your reporter pack reports" and under here it had it listed as inactive VM's. Is this a default type of report that comes with veeam?

Cheers
Andrea
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Looks like you're using the old version of Veeam Reporter (#4), which didn't have a lot of predefined reports in it. I strongly recommend you to take a look at Veeam ONE v6, as the report you're looking for is only available in version 6.
Andrea
Novice

Post by Andrea »

Thanks for your help - I will check this out.