Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jhoge123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hoge

Restore performance c r a w l i n g . . .

Post by jhoge123 »

I've backed up a series of test VMs several months ago and now need to restore them, but the performance is awful. I'm barely getting 6mb/s. Checking the four food groups on my backup server, CPU is 1-2%, network is running at 2%, disk speed is normal and RAM is ample. There are no WAN issues since the esxi host is in the next room.

The host itself is under very light use (<5% on any important metric) and has gobs of free space on an internal RAID.

When I started out with Veeam 5 on this setup two years ago speed was very good. At some point it went from decent (ten, twenty minutes to restore a 10gb test vm) to totally crap. If I had to restore a real machine at this pace it would take decades.

Any tips on getting veeam back to acceptable perfomance?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Restore performance c r a w l i n g . . .

Post by Gostev »

ESXi management interfaces are throttled, so restores directly to ESXi over the network are normally slow. For fast full VM restores, we recommend using hot add restores (via virtual backup proxy). Now, of course there is Instant VM Recovery too - for fastest possible entire VM restore.
jhoge123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Hoge

Post by jhoge123 »

I have set up the management network on it's own NIC just to avoid that situation. I haven't explicitly throttled it, and just checked in vSphere and don't see any throtting configured.

Why would a 1GB local ethernet connection barely manage 6mb/second? That is less than 1% of theoretical network capacity.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

I would double check that all the NICs in between are also Gigabit. Also, 6MB/s is more than 1%. 1Gb = 128MBps tops. Try opening vSphere client from the Veeam box or proxy and try downloading or upload data to the datastore and see if your speeds are the same.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

jhoge123 wrote:I haven't explicitly throttled it, and just checked in vSphere and don't see any throtting configured.
It's not configurable, it's just how ESXi management interface is designed for whatever reason. As Seth already suggested, try uploading a file to a datastore using Datastore Browser in vSphere Client, and you will see the same terrible speed, but with Veeam out of the picture.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I always had the feeling that management interface has to not interfere with more important kind of traffic going into the same connection, like to say vMotion or HA heartbeats, kind of it was configured with a lower priority...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1