Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jwhalen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Whalen

Offsite Storage

Post by jwhalen »

Napp-It on OpenIndiana has given very good performance using ISCSI but I have not been able to add it as a Linux server, I assume that is because it is UNIX. Perhaps I'm just missing something. Is it possible to add Napp-It/OpenIndiana as a Linux server to the Veeam server list?

Plan B is FreeNAS - The performance is not on par with Napp-It but there are other advantages.

I would like to add another set of backups to my weekly jobs to save the Veeam backups offsite.
Due to bandwidth limitations the preferred method will be to create a full backup locally, move the box off-site and continue with incremental backups.
Is it recommended to enable full synthetics and Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks on a remote storage scenario?

can I repoint the backup repository to a different server (IP number will change) once the NAS box is moved offsite?

I would like to occasionally bring the NAS box into the main office to test the backups, I assume that won't be a problem.

Jim Whalen
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Offsite Storage

Post by Gostev »

jwhalen wrote:Is it possible to add Napp-It/OpenIndiana as a Linux server to the Veeam server list?
Depends on what OS is built on. For example, you cannot do that with FreeNAS, because it is built on FreeBSD not Linux.
jwhalen wrote:Is it recommended to enable full synthetics and Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks on a remote storage scenario?
For remote storage, just avoid enabling active fulls - the rest of settings around backup modes and transform will not affect your traffic, as the job will do forever incremental in any case.
jwhalen wrote:can I repoint the backup repository to a different server (IP number will change) once the NAS box is moved offsite?
You can repoint the backup job to a different repository if you move the backup files there.
jwhalen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Whalen

Post by jwhalen »

Gostev,
Thank You for the reply.

Is Openfiler compatible or am I better off with a generic Linux box with NFS services?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Openfiler is an rpath-based linux distro, so it's a linux for sure. Never tested it anyway as a linux target...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
VeeaMVP

Post by dellock6 »

Add to self: check your openfiler server horsepower before using it as a direct repository. Veeam will put some load in it, and if its weak on cpu and ram it will become a terrible bottleneck.
If you are in this situation,use openfiler as an iscsi target and map it to the Veeam server, that will act as repository.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Jim, yes Openfiler should work just fine as native Veeam target.

Luca, are you sure about high load on backup repository?
I would expect very little load comparing to backup proxy.
dellock6
VeeaMVP

Post by dellock6 »

Well, depends on the type of backup mode you choose, if it's forward incremental is maybe ok but what about reverse incremental or transform?
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Definitely bigger storage hit, but still little to no CPU load. There is literally no data processing going on backup repository side, as it's all about moving existing blocks of data from one file to another, while keeping their content intact.
dellock6
VeeaMVP

Post by dellock6 »

Are transform and synthetic full operations in charge of the repository, or I'm wrong? Or you mean these operations have a big hit on the storage I/O without impacting the CPU of the storage itself?
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I mean these operations have a big hit on the storage I/O without impacting the CPU of the backup repository.