Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fgw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Franz Glatzer

vss / guest processing

Post by fgw »

if i understand correctly, a direct ip connection to the vm to be backed up is not required anymore since v5!

unfortunately, if i don't set up correct network access from the backup server to all vm's i get lots of errors
regarding unreachable vm's or the impossibility to connect to the admin$ share.

how comes this? i can understand warning messages as the backup server first tries to connect over ip
and fails over to api access if ip connection does not work. but i think not even warning messages should pop
up in this situation as its expected behavior?
shouldn't we see no failed jobs because of connection problems anymore since the direct ip connection is not
required to back up vm's ?

guess i got something completely wrong here ...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: vss / guest processing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Franz,
fgw wrote:but i think not even warning messages should pop up in this situation as its expected behavior?
Yes, it does make sense to suppress these warning messages. Thanks for the feedback.
fgw wrote:shouldn't we see no failed jobs because of connection problems anymore since the direct ip connection is not
required to back up vm's ?
Yes, the entire job shouldn't fail because of that. If you see an opposite behavior, please let our support team know about that, as the reason for failure might be completely different. Thanks!
fgw
Enthusiast

Post by fgw »

Vitaliy S. may be i did not state this clearly enough: not the whole job is failing, i get errors on the vm's which can't be accessed by the backup server through network: eg. vm's in an isolatet subnet

from looking at the logfile i can see, the job first tries to connect to the vm over network.

this fails as expected as there is no connection to this network from the veeam backup server, thus the job next tries to connect via vix

this starts promising, but when it comes to installing the agent the operation fails with

what user is involved here? tried different users in jobs guest processing settings. local and domain users all members of the administrator group - none worked!

is there a special setting in the guest os required?

a certain permission in virtual center? but again, all users used are members of the local administrator group anyway.

guess vmtools are used during this process. there might be an option from vmtools missing which is needed here? i removed the following options during vmtools install: PVSCSI,VMXNet3,Sync,vmdesched,Hgfs,GuestSDK,WYSE,Audio,Debug,VAssertSDK,VICFSDK,ThinPrint did i remove too much?

otherwise i run out of ideas ...

thought i give it a quick try here before i go ahead and open a support ticket.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Please do not post log snippets on the forums, as requested when you click New Topic. If you need help making sense of debug logs, please contact our support team directly.
fgw wrote:tried different users in jobs guest processing settings. local and domain users all members of the administrator group - none worked!

is there a special setting in the guest os required?
There is no special setting, you should be using an account that belongs to local administrators group on the VMs being backed up.
fgw
Enthusiast

Post by fgw »

sorry for posting the excerpt of the log. was just about 40 lines so i thought its ok.

no special settings needed but still no success with some of my vm's - will open a ticket now ...