Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fgw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Franz Glatzer

feature request: guest processing / edit advanced options

Post by fgw »

1) have setup my jobs to select vm's by folders "vms and templates" during adding vm's,
thus newly added vm's get included in jobs automatically.

when trying to configure different settings or user/pwd under advanced settings in guest processing i'm lost!

unfortunately its not possible to select individual vm's within the folder or a datastore to change advanced settings or
set user and password to be used during guest processing !

pls add this functionality! otherwise using folders or datastores to select vm's for backup is useless when you need
to setup individual settings for vm's.

2) on the main page of guest processing, there is the checkbox "enable guest file system indexing"
i assume if this is not checked all indexing is disabled although there are files selected for indexing
under guest processing -> advanced -> edit -> indexing correct?

pls add also a checkbox to disable truncation of logs for all vm's in the job at once. right we have to click through all vm's in order
to disable log truncation.

3) in previous releases (don't know if it was 4 or 5) when viewing job statistics there were this buttons to easy jump
to the statistics of the previous or next run of a job. this buttons are not available anymore. this was a very handy feature to compare
different runs of the same job. would be nice to have this prev and next buttons back again!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: feature request: guest processing / edit advanced option

Post by Cokovic »

fgw wrote: 3) in previous releases (don't know if it was 4 or 5) when viewing job statistics there were this buttons to easy jump
to the statistics of the previous or next run of a job. this buttons are not available anymore. this was a very handy feature to compare
different runs of the same job. would be nice to have this prev and next buttons back again!
Just use the left and the right arrow to navigate through the stats of the same job ;)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

fgw wrote:unfortunately its not possible to select individual vm's within the folder or a datastore to change advanced settings or
set user and password to be used during guest processing !
Actually it was possible starting from version 5, just open Advanced settings -> Add VM -> Set User. :wink:
fgw wrote:2) on the main page of guest processing, there is the checkbox "enable guest file system indexing"
i assume if this is not checked all indexing is disabled although there are files selected for indexing
under guest processing -> advanced -> edit -> indexing correct?
Correct.
fgw wrote:pls add also a checkbox to disable truncation of logs for all vm's in the job at once. right we have to click through all vm's in order
to disable log truncation.
This functionality is already available, just choose the container object in "Advanced" settings and edit log truncation logic for the entire container.
fgw
Enthusiast

Post by fgw »

Cokovic wrote: Just use the left and the right arrow to navigate through the stats of the same job ;)
although i read through the userguide i must have missed this. was not aware of using the arrow keys here ...

thanks for the hint!
fgw
Enthusiast

Post by fgw »

Vitaliy S.

thanks for the quick info, this saved my day!

would have never tried myself to add one of the vm's contained in the container to the list of guest processing settings to perform some extra settings for this individual vm!

works as expected!

yes have seen, that i can disable log truncation on the container and this obviously works for all vms in the container. but, i'm new to using containers and all my previous jobs used individual vm's where i needed to edit every single vm to disable log truncation.

guess if i add an individual vm to specify different user/pwd settings to the list of guest processing settings i need to also disable log truncation on this added vm as its default setting would overwrite the settings i made for the whole container.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

fgw wrote:guess if i add an individual vm to specify different user/pwd settings to the list of guest processing settings i need to also disable log truncation on this added vm as its default setting would overwrite the settings i made for the whole container.
Correct.