Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bklynjames
Lurker
Liked: never

Initial Veeam Backup Configs..

Post by bklynjames »

Hello All,

Im currently running the 3.1 version of backup in a 3 host cluster. For some reason I can see the hosts but cannot access them, using the network backup portion of the software. To be able to backup to a storage lun. I keep on receiving an error stating I do not have access.. From what I can see it looks like the software dosent have access to the hosts.. Is their a way around this..??
bklynjames
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Initial Veeam Backup Configs..

Post by bklynjames »

Ok so I think I figured out why its not working... Im running ESXi which dosent allow you to log into the actual esx host.
So how do I backup a Guest to a San lun using the Network backup portion of the software... I cant access the hosts or see them since their ESXi..??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Initial Veeam Backup Configs..

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you are correct - per system requirements, ESXi host cannot act as backup target. It needs to be full ESX host.

So you have the following options:
- If you Veeam Backup server is connected directly into SAN fabric, you should make SAN LUN available to your Veeam Backup server, connect it as a volume to your Veeam Backup server, and backup to it.
- Or, you can install full ESX host instead of one of your ESXi hosts, and select it as a backup target, then browse to and choose the corresponding storage.

Please note however, that generally it is not recommended to backup to production SAN, because if it goes down, you will loose all of your backups.