Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
barchas
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Sybase mid-transaction, what happens?

Post by barchas »

Hi all

Im planning out my disaster scenarios and realized a potential issue that I am not quite clear on how it would affect integrity.

We have an old sybase database, pre-vss.
If there is large transaction being committed to the database, and mid-transation veeam starts backing up. I assume the critical moment is the snapshot, which could technically split a transaction across the snapshot boundary. If there was to be a loss of the VM, and a recovery is required, what would happen? Since the DB is not VSS aware/capable, this started to become a concern for recovering a backup that might have been right in the middle of a database transaction. Even though Veeam is backing up at block level, the transaction to the database may not have been completed yet.

I realize this might not actually be a Veeam question, and probably a VMware or Sybase question, but I figured I would start here.
Thanks for any insight.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Sybase mid-transaction, what happens?

Post by tsightler »

The same thing that would happen if you hit the "big red button" at that moment. For most databases that means that the logs would be replayed and the uncompleted transactions would be rolled back (i.e. media recovery). I don't think Sybase would be any different.
barchas
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Sybase mid-transaction, what happens?

Post by barchas »

makes sense of course. Especially now that I have been thinking on it a bit. So i think my real question should be to sybase then.
thanks for the answer.