Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Proper/clean way to move Veeam backup files

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello experts,

we are successfully backing up virtual machines in a production environment using the latest 6.1 and a combination of active full backups performed on Saturday, incremental backups performed Sunday through Friday, and a synthetic full backup scheduled on Wednesday.

So far, we have configured a couple of backup repositories. The primary backup repository is the only one we have used so far for storing backup data on the target side. We would like to move the earliest active full backup and the resulting incremental chain currently located in the dedicated job folder automatically created on the primary backup repository to the secondary backup repository and just retain it. Could you please advise if a proper/clean way to accomplish this task exists so that Veeam Backup & Replication for VMware is aware that some backup files belonging to the same job have been moved in a different backup repository ?

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Proper/clean way to move Veeam backup files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Massimiliano,

You cannot use two backup repositories at the same time for the same job. If you just want to move these files for archiving purposes, just copy these files to the new repository manually and then import them to the backup console.

Thanks!
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Hi Vitaliy,

thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate your support.

I have a couple more questions:

===============================================
1) Should the need to free up space in a backup repository arise, is there a a proper/clean way to manually delete a backup chain before the retention period threshold is reached so that Veeam Backup & Replication is aware of the deletion ?
2) When copying backup files to a different repository for archiving purposes (I mean when copying an active full backup or an entire backup chain within the job folder, not the job folder itself with all its contents) is it necessary to also bring/copy .vbm metadata files to be able to import those backup files back to the backup console should the need arise ?
===============================================

Thanks again !

Regards,
Massimiliano
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. The number of available restore points is solely controlled by a retention policy you've configured. If you want to remove some "unneeded" restore points, you need to adjust the job retention policy accordingly. There is no manual way to remove restore points from the backup chain.
2. No, VBM files presence is not required, just make sure you have VBK +VRB/VIB files in place.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Hi Vitaliy,

thank you for your prompt and clear answers.

They are the exact answers I was looking for.

Regards,
Massimiliano
MooreIT
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by MooreIT »

To add to the original question, I've moved files to a different repository and then imported them into Veeam however I did not adjust the original backup job to point to the new location. After adjusting the backup job itself to point to the new repository it seemed that it was unaware of the backups I imported and started another backup altogether on that repository. Is that right or did I miss a step?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Make sure you're following the procedure mentioned in this thread: Moving To New Repository
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:1. The number of available restore points is solely controlled by a retention policy you've configured. If you want to remove some "unneeded" restore points, you need to adjust the job retention policy accordingly. There is no manual way to remove restore points from the backup chain.

So, this article is not valid?

http://www.veeam.com/kb1729
Veeaming since 2013
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I believe Vitaliy was stating that you cannot remove a single restore point from the middle of the backup chain:
kb1729 wrote: 2. Now you can delete manually whichever files you want. Keep in mind that "vib" incrementals are dependent on the chain of .vib's before them up to the closest full .vbk, and so will need all the previous .vib's and the .vbk. (Note that "vrb" incrementals are dependent on the chain of .vrb's after them up to the closest full .vbk, so you will need all .vrbs after these as well as the next full .vbk.) Do not delete the .vbm.
and still need to adjust retention aсcordingly if you do not want the claimed space to be occupied by the new restore points.
Breet
Lurker
Full Name: Breet Foil

[MERGED] Remove specific restore points

Post by Breet »

Hi guys,

I have a backup with restore points that is filling up my disk. Therefore I would like to remove some specific restore points without affecting it's other restore points/backups?
I do not want to risk losing my other backups. Can anyone help?

note. version 6.5

Thx,
Breet
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Breet, removing restore points manually is highly not recommended, so you should adjust your retention policy settings to free up some space. BTW, what backup mode are you using? Forward or reversed incremental?
Breet
Lurker
Full Name: Breet Foil

Post by Breet »

Thx for you reply.
It is set to reversed incremental.

Will adjusting the retention time of this job automatically cause a cleanup of older backups?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, new retention settings will be applied at the end of the next job run.