Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Proxy issues with v6.1

Post by collinp »

I have multiple proxies that are set up to run over nbd, each on different subnets, as well as our main proxy which uses SAN transport mode. Veeam now only uses the SAN mode proxy. It thinks since the other nbd proxies are on different subnets from the VMWare hosts management network that they are at different sites so places a low priority on them (even though they are at the same site). I believe in 6.1, Veeam prioritizes by subnet with the first priority being a backup proxy on the same subnet as the management interface of the vmware host. Now all of my jobs queue on one proxy to use SAN transport mode so not as many jobs can run at the same time. Jobs are failing within my window. I am not able to change the backup proxies networks to the same network as the vmware management network. I can force some jobs to a specific nbd proxy, if necessary. But liked it when the decision was made automatically by Veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Proxy issues with v6.1

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Collin,

Yes, you're correct. If it is possible to backup a VM in either SAN or HotAdd mode, then your backup job will wait till the corresponding proxy will become available. This will ensure that your VM is processed in the most efficient way. Another thing that was introduced in 6.1 is a proxy subnet verification check. As you've correctly stated Veeam backup server searches for available proxy servers and prioritizes them by a subnet, proxy servers in the same subnet as the management interface of the ESX(i) host will receive the highest rank. This should guarantee that your VMs are not processed by a proxy server located over the slow WAN link, which might result in a poor backup job performance rates.

Given these facts, I realize that this approach might not work for you, so the only way to make it work is to assign your backup jobs to the desired proxy servers manually. Btw, why don't you use the HotAdd mode to backup your VMs?

Thanks!
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Post by collinp »

My focus has been on getting Veeam to work with Hyper-v for so long that I missed this entire feature. I just read the latest Veeam user guide for VMWare. It talks about virtual appliance mode but I didn't see where it talked about exactly how to set this up. Do I just create a Win2k8R2 VM with 4 vProcs and 8gb of memory and add this as a proxy from within Veeam B&R? Will Veeam recognize this is VM and begin using the HotAdd feature? My environment is vCenter 5 with ESX Vsphere 4.1 hosts in a clustered environment. All 4 clustered hosts can see all datastores.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, your configuration is just perfect for the HotAdd proxy.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Hello collinp,

HotAdd mode on version 6.1 have seen it working better that Direct SAN Mode.

1. Make sure proxy can reach Veeam Backup Server via name and IP / on same subnet.
2. ESX Servers added to the vCenter on same subnet.
3. Veeam Backup Server can reach each esx with name and IP.
3. Proxy can reach each vCenter and each esx host with name and IP.
4. From Veeam Backup open the proxy share \\proxy\C$ and \\proxy\ADMIN$
5. from Backup Proxy open \\VeeamBackup\C$ and \\VeeamBackup\ADMIN$
6. Add the backup proxy to Veeam Backup Server.
7. Configure it as Virtual Appliance Mode.

Configure a new job and point to the HotAdd proxy and you will a high range or processing speed over Direct SAN.

Let us know the result.

Thanks,