Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

thinking about purchasing veeam!!

Post by jeremyh8 »

We are looking to purchase veeam and possibly SRM as well. My first question is does it make sense to have both? The veeam product we are looking at is the Enterprise Suite which includes backup and relocation with veeam one. What does having SRM as well gain me?

My specific reason for this solution is to backup and provide DR for 100 vms at my prod1 site and 25 vms at prod2 site. We want to be able to perform DR at either site. The total data is around 7 TB. We have a DS3 mpls 45mb/sec link to use for this purpose with an average of 40 ms latency... will this work?

How does the replication piece of this work? is it a replication of my backup data or is it just a single vm mirror? I noticed in the faq it mentioned something like this and stated that it is not deduced... That seems like it would send a LOT of data on the wan link?

Backup proxies: I assume that veeam only supports backing up across the network? If not what other options does it support? San based? Do the proxies have to have a direct connection to storage or is a network connection all it needs? Since the proxies are going to have such an intense load on them i was wondering if i could use physical linux machines running on power hardware? I have a p770 that has tons of horse power available. How many virtual machines can a proxy backup at one time?

Our current products are avatar and TSM. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: thinking about purchasing veeam!!

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jeremyh8 wrote:What does having SRM as well gain me?
Please check out an existing discussion about SRM and Veeam B&R capabilities: SRM5 vs Veeam Bakup and Replication
jeremyh8 wrote:My specific reason for this solution is to backup and provide DR for 100 vms at my prod1 site and 25 vms at prod2 site. We want to be able to perform DR at either site. The total data is around 7 TB. We have a DS3 mpls 45mb/sec link to use for this purpose with an average of 40 ms latency... will this work?
Yes, it should. You may want to search these forums for the examples of WAN replication/offsite backups from our existing customers.
jeremyh8 wrote:How does the replication piece of this work? is it a replication of my backup data or is it just a single vm mirror? I noticed in the faq it mentioned something like this and stated that it is not deduced... That seems like it would send a LOT of data on the wan link?
You can either backup to the offsite location or replicate entire VMs to the DR site. During replication VMs data is compressed and moved from the source proxy to the target-side server. Should more details be required, please check out our User Guide (page 44).
jeremyh8 wrote:Backup proxies: I assume that veeam only supports backing up across the network? If not what other options does it support? San based?
For all available backup modes, please review our sticky F.A.Q.:VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
jeremyh8 wrote:Since the proxies are going to have such an intense load on them i was wondering if i could use physical linux machines running on power hardware?
Linux servers cannot be used as proxy servers. Please review the Release Notes document (included with your download) for supported backup proxy operating systems.
jeremyh8 wrote: How many virtual machines can a proxy backup at one time?
The number of concurrent tasks depends on your proxy configuration, please take a look at our User Guide (page 19) for additional info.

Thanks!
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Post by jeremyh8 »

ty for the information. i am going to go and try to find the user guide now!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »