Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jasonrac
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason

Different Issue? --> Unable to release guest. Error: VSSCont

Post by jasonrac »

I know the forum is flush with "VSS" errors (and solutions) but I believe this is a different issue and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this.

A couple weeks ago every server in ALL of our backup jobs failed with the error:
Unable to release guest. Error: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout

We went through many of the steps in other posts - we picked one of the problem VMs and looked for VSS errors in the machine being backed up.
We then rebooted the Veeam and vCenter servers and magically no more VSS errors - nothing was done to the VMs being backed up.

Now about every 2 - 4 days ALL the jobs fail, we reboot vCenter and they all start working again. (It does not appear we have to restart the Veeam server)

Does this make sense to anyone? From what I understand VSS has nothing to do with Veeam, it is a Windows function in the machine being backed up.

All the other posts I could find about VSS errors focused on the machines being backed up and this does not appear to be an issue with the machines being backed up - as it happens to every machine and stops when vCenter is rebooted.

We are on Veeam Enterprise 6.0 with Patch 3 (181) and vCenter 5.

We will be contacting support this but I wanted to post as well to see if anyone else has seen this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Different Issue? --> Unable to release guest. Error: VSS

Post by Gostev »

Please include your support case ID, or this topic will be removed as per forum rules. We do not allow posts about technical issues which do not include support case ID, with no exceptions.

Since VSS guest processing is closely interconnected with snapshot creation (which in turn is handled by vCenter), I can certainly see how vCenter malfunction can potentially affect guest processing and result in guest processing errors. VM snapshot must be created in a timely manner, since this operation is time-sensitive (there is only as much time that VSS framework can keep the OS "frozen").
jasonrac
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason

Re: Different Issue? --> Unable to release guest. Error: VSS

Post by jasonrac »

Case ID 5198698