Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GBSB
Novice
Liked: never

RHEL and Lotus Notes / Domino

Post by GBSB »

Good Morning

We are starting a project to upgrade to Notes Server 8.5.1 and want to place this on Red Hat sat on a VMWare ESXi host.

At present we use Windows and Notes 6.5.x and use the freeze scripts during the backup process with Veeam.
What is the equivelant when we use Red Hat as the OS ?. Any best practices etc.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: RHEL and Lotus Notes / Domino

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

I believe you should be using the same approach with pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts to backup the Notes Server in a consistent state.

Thanks!
GBSB
Novice
Liked: never

Post by GBSB »

Hello
any example of pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts for domino under rhel oder linux?
thks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I've managed to found only this so far. Hope this helps.
pazzoide76
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simone

[MERGED] Backup of dominio and mysql under linux

Post by pazzoide76 »

Hello,
I have a couple of questions about backing up linux (centos) hosting services like db (mysql, sybase) and domino.
Reading the documentation I have seen that it is possible to back up Domino using the pre-freeze-script and the post-thaw-script

http://calvinsohk.blogspot.it/2012/07/b ... or_26.html

What I need to understand is that if during the execute bit of the pre-freeze-script and the post-thaw-script the virtual machine continues to run and the only service that does not work is domino.
This solution allows me to restore the single file?

I have seen that to perform database backups, you can stop the service and restart it to back up through the pre-freeze-script and the post-thaw-script.
What I need to figure out is if during the backup the only service that does not work is the db or the whole machine is not operational.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Simone, pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts are used to quiesce the application before the snapshot is taken and resume immediately after that. While you can see some performance impact at the moments of snapshot creation and removal (the latter can cause some short period of inactivity due to the required stun to commit snapshot data), the VM is fully operational during backup.
0zzY
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: 0zzy

[MERGED] Veeam B&R + Informix on RedHat

Post by 0zzY »

Hi all, i have a redhat system with an Informix db, is it supported by veeam B&R?
What's the right procedure to follow when backing up an Informix db? Is it better doing a dump before backing-up with veeam?

Tnx all
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ozzy,

Since Veeam B&R is an image based backup solution, any application inside the VM is supported.

To have consistent backups of your Informix db, you can either use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts (stop and start db services/daemons prior and after snapshot creation) or use native tools to dump backups on VM disks and then use Veeam B&R with VMware Tools quiescence option enabled to backup this VM up.

Thanks!
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Vitaliy S. wrote: use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts (stop and start db services/daemons prior and after snapshot creation) or use native tools to dump backups on VM disks and then use Veeam B&R with VMware Tools quiescence option enabled to backup this VM up.

Thanks!
Hi Vitaliy, correct me if i misanderstood what you say.. pre freeze and post-thaw scripts are equals to stop and start db services/daemons?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not exactly, you can script any action with these scripts, start/stop actions were just mentioned as a possible way to go. Do you have any recommendations on the pre-freeze scripts from the vendor of Informix db? Usually this kind of information can be found in the product documentation.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Usually this kind of information can be found in the product documentation.
I don't know, i'll see the official documentations. Tnx for now.