Liked: never

Problems licensing hosts

Post by alexr »

Half of my VMs fail to backup with

Checking license
The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created

error

I am running veeam 3.1 and now vSphere with new licensing implemented

When I just upgraded to Veeam 3.1 I had this problem and it was solved by removing licensed hosts and letting veeam to pick licenses again.

Now it back again and removing licensed hosts does not help anymore. One host refuses to get licensed all together although I see 2 available licenses (4 others being picked by veeam) and all its VMs fail to backup

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Alex
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Problems licensing hosts

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alex,

It's hard to tell without the logs, could you please send us all the logs to support@veeam.com, you can find them by clicking Help->Support Information.
Also we need a screenshot of licensed hosts to investigate the issue. As soon as we get it you will be answered shortly with the resolution to this.
alexr
Enthusiast

Post by alexr »

after re-licensing and restart it seems to be working again. will see if it will stick
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Alex, by re-licensing, did you mean re-importing your license file into the product?
alexr
Enthusiast

Post by alexr »

no, removing licensed servers and letting veeam to license licenses again. Looks like it did nto work well untill I restarted veeam service (or maybe rebooted computer) I did it several times. First time after upgrade to 3.01 to 3.1 it worked till upgrade tovSphere at which point one host would not get backed up and when I revoke its license would not acquire it again. I removed all licensed servers and restarted veeam (or server) so far it worked for 4 days
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

We have confirmed that this problem can be caused by the following sequence of actions:
1. Add new ESX host into environment.
2. Add this ESX host to Veeam Backup "Servers" tree as stanadalone ESX, create backup job - it will run successfully.
3. Add this ESX to Virtual Center server that is also added to Veeam Backup "Servers" tree.
4. Reconnect to Virtual Center server in Veeam Backup.
5. The backup job will start failing with the above-mentioned error.

Resolution is to not add ESX hosts which belong to Virtual Center, as standalone hosts to Veeam Backup tree.
andi303
Novice

Post by andi303 »

Sorry to reactivate this thread. However, since some other threads are referencing this discussion, I would like to add, that this is also happening if you change from IP to DNS-based host identification in vCenter Server.
CCI-Gareth
Lurker
Full Name: Gareth Cadle

Post by CCI-Gareth »

Hi,

I have a similar problem, i have 9hosts but only 6 are showing as licensed.
i have now got a new license (trial) with a limit of 50 sockets

however in Veeam Backup and replication those 3hosts are still showing as "not licensed"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Gareth, please note that the license gets assigned to the host's sockets only when you actually backup/replicate VMs running on that host for the first time. In other words, if you do not process any VMs from some hosts, their sockets will not be accounted towards the used licenses.