Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
william1111
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Le Ton Phat

NFS Client for Windows based Repository Server

Post by william1111 »

Hi everybody
This's my Situation:
I'm testing veeam backup v6.0.0.181 with my esxi servers and NetApp's nfs store. My backup mode's virtual appliance. I created a Job & backup my LAB but I had a problem i only tranfered my backup data from Proxy server to Repository Server (linux server) which mount NFS folder from NetApp. So I don't want to use any Linux system as proxy to export the nfs store, i want tranfer directly to NetApp NFS share folder .
I researched and know that someone tried use NFS client for Windows and mount this NFS share to proxy. Then configured this proxy same as Repository server with NFS share. But i tried with window server 2003 R2 and window server 2008 R2 --> i could add my VM to Proxies list but i couldn't add this VM to Repositories List with mountes NFS share folder on NetApp.

Is there any solution for my problem ? Plz help me...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: NFS Client for Windows based Repository Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Doesn't seem like there is any possible way to avoid using Linux box connected to your NetApp storage device as a backup repository.
william1111
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Le Ton Phat

Post by william1111 »

I read this post and tsightler say that "with V6 you can install Client for NFS on a different server from the main Veeam server, mount the NFS share, and add that Windows system as a repository."
Then I wanted design my virtual machine in cluster with 2 conponents: backup proxy component (virtual appliance mode) + repository component (use client for NFS on windows mount NFS folder on NetApp). So that it could backup with virtual appliance mode and then tranfer backup data directly to Repository service on local VM to tranfer to NetApp bypass adding Linux box as a backup repository .
But i couldn't do it, couldn't create backup repository with windows based backup proxy + NFS share. How can i do it or veeam not support? or i can do it with v6.1?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

You can workaround on this situation by simply create a new linux VM, mount NFS on it, and use it as a linux server inside Veeam. Veeam will deploy the repository components on this VM when you register it as a new repository.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

william1111 wrote:But i tried with window server 2003 R2 and window server 2008 R2 --> i could add my VM to Proxies list but i couldn't add this VM to Repositories List with mountes NFS share folder on NetApp.
I would suggest to take a look at your debug logs files (ask assistance from our support team), as it is not clear what prevents you from adding existing Windows machine with NFS Client installed as a backup repository.