Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fnbuser
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Problems With Full VM Restore

Post by fnbuser »

Hello,

I have a case pending (5199255) for this problem but wanted to ask about it here as well. After having some problems with Windows Update causing one of my machines to get stuck in an endless "Installing Updates Step 3 of 3 / reboot" cycle I decided to just go ahead and restore it from backup. The restore completes successfully, however, upon log in I get several .dll errors and the machine is not working correctly. A chkdsk on the C: drive has not helped.

Sample errors:

Code: Select all

This application has failed to start because ole32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll could not be loaded.
If Veeam is missing some system files during backup that is not a good thing.

Thanks,
Jason
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Problems With Full VM Restore

Post by tsightler »

It's not really possible for Veeam to "miss files" during backup since Veeam is not backing up at the file level. Veeam is backing up the entire state of the virtual disk. It sounds a little like this machine may have already been experiencing issues prior to the Windows update. Overall, the messages above should be fairly trivial to fix. You might want to try an instant restore from an earlier restore point and see if the problem still existed. That might help you narrow down when things began to go wrong. The "ole32.dll was not found" issue is a common windows error typically associated with the file becoming corrupt or being damaged by a virus or other tool, and the mscoreei.dll is commonly seen as well. This typically indicates a problem with the machine that may be why your updates were stuck in a loop to being with.
fnbuser
Novice

Post by fnbuser »

tsightler wrote:It's not really possible for Veeam to "miss files" during backup since Veeam is not backing up at the file level. Veeam is backing up the entire state of the virtual disk. It sounds a little like this machine may have already been experiencing issues prior to the Windows update. Overall, the messages above should be fairly trivial to fix. You might want to try an instant restore from an earlier restore point and see if the problem still existed. That might help you narrow down when things began to go wrong. The "ole32.dll was not found" issue is a common windows error typically associated with the file becoming corrupt or being damaged by a virus or other tool, and the mscoreei.dll is commonly seen as well. This typically indicates a problem with the machine that may be why your updates were stuck in a loop to being with.
I don't recall seeing any of those errors prior to running the updates, but I'm doing another restore now from the last full backup rather than an increment to see if that helps. Thanks.
fnbuser
Novice

Post by fnbuser » 1 person likes this post

Restoring from the last full backup worked just fine. That's very odd.