Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Veeam backing up Extents?

Post by chimera »

Hi,

Scenario: vSphere 5.0 farm, one of the VMFS datastores is 5.4TB (it consists of 3 x 1.8TB extents) Storage is Dell MD3200 (SAS) Storage is presented to all hosts and also Veeam server. On Veeam server, under Computer Mgmt it shows the LUN's as the 3 x 1.8TB's extents - BUT they are all showing as "offline". When trying to bring them "online" gives an "incorrect function" error popup. Obviously need them online to allow Veeam to backup from SAN. There are other VMFS datastores that are 2TB or less (datastores with no additional extents) and those disks ARE showing up as "online" and the VM's on them ARE able to be backed up direct from SAN with no problem.

Questions:

1. Does Veeam support backing up direct from SAN from a datastore with multiple extents? (im sure it does, as im sure this used to work)
2. Any idea why I'm getting incorrect function in Windows Computer Mgmt when trying to bring these volumes back online?

Cheers
chimera
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: J I

Re: Veeam backing up Extents?

Post by chimera » 1 person likes this post

All good, just answered my own question again...

Of the 3 x 1.8TB LUNs, on the MD3200 SAN two of them had ownership/preferred path on controller 0 whereas the 3rd LUN had its ownership/preferred path on controller 1. Swapping paths to have controller 0 as preferred allowed the LUN to show up - and be brought back online. Looks like I might have a cabling issue from Veeam server to controller 1.

Cheers