Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

HDS VSP direct san access for backups

Post by jeremyh8 »

Hello everyone i am trying to setup a physical blade server for direct san access. I know there are many posts about this and i have read several and have a good understanding of what i need to do except for 1 piece. I am hoping there are other HDS customers out there who can help me out! I am needing to know how to make sure my luns that i present to the windows host that are also presented to my esx hosts are READ ONLY to windows. I want to be safe and not mess anything up. Ty for your help!!
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Re: HDS VSP direct san access for backups

Post by jeremyh8 »

i also wanted to add that our physical server is running 2008 enterprise. If you know of any concerns with our setup please let me know. I dont want windows corrupting my datastores!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Some SAN models do not support mounting LUNs in read-only mode, usually this kind of information is stated in either User Guides or SAN model whitepapers. Might be worth checking out while waiting for existing HDS VSP users. Thanks!
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

hds does not support this from what i could tell. I crossed my fingers and presented them. so far so good.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it should be good, as during installation Veeam B&R sets SAN Policy to "OfflineAll" for Windows 2008R2, which should prevent you from corrupting SAN LUNs. Besides, if you do not grant random people access local admin rights on your proxy server, then this would also help ;)
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 » 2 people like this post

i told all the admins that if they bring these disks online that they would need to find other employment! :)