Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

backup repository gained space magically

Post by jeremyh8 »

I am testing veeam so i am doing backups every 2 hrs and wanted to keep 100 restore points. i have a 4tb repository and i was trying to fill it up. well it got to 42gb free then i had over 1tb free!! What log can i look at to find out how this happened and what it deleted?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: backup reposityr gained space magically

Post by tsightler »

You can probably just tell from the job settings, i.e. are you running forward incrementals? What transform mode.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

synthetic fulls and no transform option. we have been running backups for about 3 days now so nothing should have expired yet.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Assuming you are using default settings there would have been a synthetic full run this weekend, but that should basically take up more space. You can certainly search back through all of the job stats (using the keyboard arrow keys you can quickly go back through the sessions) and the full logs are also available. Do you still show ~36 restore points for your jobs?
jeremyh8
Enthusiast

Post by jeremyh8 »

I went to do a restore and looked at my restore points and i see where my space came from. i have a fs that is 675gb and i had backed it up for a day then i removed it from the job. I did this since it is currently defragging. I looked in my job settings and it IS set to keep deleted vms for 14 days. I am assuming that deleted means deleted form vmware... or does it mean deleted from job? when i first started this job i had it set for 14 restore points. I changed it to 100 after a day or 2 had passed. When i made this change does it only make the change going forward or does it change it for all retention points? I guess i am asking if retention is set per restore point or per job. I had a message like this "6/24/2012 1:11:31 AM :: servername is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional." Now with that being said i DID NOT see anywhere in the job where it showed that it deleted these file or restore points. Any help in understanding this will be appreciated!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jeremyh8 wrote:I am assuming that deleted means deleted form vmware... or does it mean deleted from job?
Both deleted from vSphere and excluded from the job, as well as moved to another container (out of the given job scope).
jeremyh8 wrote:when i first started this job i had it set for 14 restore points. I changed it to 100 after a day or 2 had passed. When i made this change does it only make the change going forward or does it change it for all retention points?
The retention policy is applied at the end of every job run and the specified number of restore points is maintained at any given moment in time.
jeremyh8 wrote:I guess i am asking if retention is set per restore point or per job.
Not sure what you are meaning here. Retention policy is specified for the job and maintains the required number of restore points for all the VMs backed up by the job.

Hope this helps. In any case, the reason of such behavior can be revealed with the help of debug logs, you can contact our support team for assistance in logs review. Thanks!