Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dik
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dik

Failed to open VDDK disk - is read-only mode - [true]

Post by Dik »

Hello,
I testing veeam 5.0 and we have run in to some problems.
I have VMware ESX 4.1.0

It is not possible to complete reserve copying.
There is an error.

Backing up object "[datastore1_800] Win7/Win7.vmdk"
BackupDiskFull failed
Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[datastore1_800] Win7/Win7.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [10.1.2.23];Port: 902;Login: [dik];VMX Spec: [moref=448];Snapshot mor: [448-snapshot-25];Transports: [nbd]] failed because of the following errors:

Server error: End of file
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Failed to open VDDK disk - is read-only mode - [true]

Post by Gostev »

Hi Dik, welcome to our forums. Please review the forum rules on posting support issues provided when you click New Topic. Thank you.
WesleyKnox
Novice
Full Name: Wesley Knox

Post by WesleyKnox »

Hi Guys,

My name is Wesley and I have had the same issues for about a week now. I have managed to resolve my issue by enableing VSS for all backup jobs. A domain or local account needs to be local admin on the VM in order to use VSS. Its makes total sense ( read only mode) = VM being on and app, data or files being in use. Having this option enabled will freeze the guest and backup the VM's in your job. I really hope this helps out people having the same issue.

Thanks

Wesley Knox :)
tconrad
Lurker
Full Name: TJ

Post by tconrad »

This error happened to us when UAC was running on a Windows 2008 64bit server. Turning it off fixed our issue.
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

VB&R 6.1 on Server 2008 R2

Day 1, full backup job runs fine.
Day 2, incremental backup job runs, VM that worked fine yesterday now gives:

Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[VMFS5-EQL] ZCM/ZCM_1.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] ) Failed to open VMDK. Logon attempt with parameters....

The KB http://www.veeam.com/KB1100
is of no help as this VM does NOT have IDE disks!

Seb
ZachW
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Post by ZachW »

If you are running into this error while running a job then please open up a ticket with support to get squared away. This error alone does not provide enough information as to why the job is failing. The KB that you are referring to ( while it does contain the "failed to open vddk disk" string ) is referring to a specific error. As seen towards the end of the "problem" row it makes reference to checking the logs for a line along the lines of "Cannot use hotadd to transport to mount Virtual Machines with non-SCSI disks" which is referring to trying to run a job using Virtual Appliance transport mode against a VM containing IDE disks. So, this KB is helpful if someone is throwing the "failed to open vddk disk" error and they happen to see that line within their logs, but I assume this is not the case for you. This is just a generic error being thrown stating that we cannot open the disk for some reason. So, go ahead and open up a ticket with support so we can try and find in the logs what other issue may be causing this error to be thrown.
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

Sure, [ID#5200486]

Seb
kte
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Koen Teugels

[MERGED] Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[vmf

Post by kte »

9/15/2013 11:55:16 PM :: Processing 'xxx1' Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[VMFS_LUN04] xxx/xxx_17.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vcenter];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-748];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-1115];Transports: [san];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vcenter];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [mor

case 00446547
kte
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Koen Teugels

Post by kte » 1 person likes this post

It seems to working now I added addition ram and CPU on my vCenter and some esx host could communicate anymore with the vcenter so I restarted there management agents
DaFresh
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric Lemarchand

Post by DaFresh » 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

I have had this issue lot of times ... specifically on big VM with vhd larger than 1To.
It took me one month to discover that turning up jumbo frame on the storage side resolve the issue, at least for me. I think that my hardware was pushed to the limit because of the IO at the iSCSI layer, resulting in some strange behaviours ...
So it seems that sometimes this issue could be caused by a misconfiguration of the storage.

Hope this could help.
andyliuto
Lurker

Post by andyliuto »

fix the problem, the account used to connect VC do not have the administrator right of the cluster.
It may the security problem.
EBoucq
Service Provider
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Eric Boucq

[MERGED] Replication to NFS datastore (NAS)

Post by EBoucq »

Hi,

I have to run replications of a VM (on a SAN) to a NFS datastore on a NAS.
I use Veeam V7.
After a few successful replication, I started to get errors like mentionnig "failed to open vddk disk" and "read-only mode"

Could it be linked to the proxy transport mode configuration that's been set to "Virtual Appliance" ? What would be the best choice for that kind of storage (NAS) ?

Thanks !
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Eric,
What is the build number of VBRv7 version you are using?
You are correct, one of possible reasons is that Hot Add proxy didn't unmount disks failed server. Another guess is that there is a VM with unsupported disks type like IDE virtual disks.
Please review the topic and this article.
Thanks.
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq »

Hi Nikita,

I'm using VBR v 7.0.0.871.
If the VM source is on a SAN and the replica on a NAS (NFS), what transport mode would you recommend
Thanks !
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

EBoucq wrote:I'm using VBR v 7.0.0.871.
Great, that`s the last release version of v7 (patch 4). Is there a reason why you are not updating to v8?
EBoucq wrote:If the VM source is on a SAN and the replica on a NAS (NFS), what transport mode would you recommend
To streamline the replication process, you can deploy a backup proxy on a VM. The virtual backup proxy must be registered on an ESX(i) host that has a direct connection to the target datastore. In this case, the backup proxy will be able to use the Virtual Appliance transport mode for writing replica data to target.
What transport mode for replication VBR is using now? Do you see the [hotadd] or [nbd] tag next to the target proxy server name in the VM processing log?

This topic contains more relevant info. Please take a look.
Thanks.
EBoucq
Service Provider

Post by EBoucq »

Hi Nikita,

This is how the replication is set up:
Source proxy: transport mode --> Virtual appliance --> [hotadd] appears in the log
target proxy: transport mode --> Virtual appliance --> [hotadd] appears in the log
Shouldn't I choose an other option than Virtual appliance if I don't want hotadd

Source VM is a Windows Vista 64-bit with LSI Logic SAS controller.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the answer.
If you don`t want to use hot-add, you can switch to the Network mode.
You can instruct VBR to switch to the Network transport mode and transfer VM data over the LAN if the primary transport mode — Direct SAN Access or Virtual Appliance — becomes inaccessible. This option is enabled by default to ensure that jobs and tasks can be completed successfully in any situation.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Eric, I would also recommend to check whether the account used to connect to vCenter has enough permissions on the processed VM and review this thread, might give you some hints.
adrianoses
Lurker
Full Name: Adrián Oses

Post by adrianoses »

Hi Guys,

My name is Adrian, and I have this error trying to do a Quick Migration with Veeam BackUp and Replication Update 4:

8/10/2019 11:25:27 :: Copying VM files Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[datastore1] VM HADES/hades_1-s001.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [192.168.1.3];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=30];Snapshot mor: [30-snapshot-1];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to replicate content of the disk [vddk://<vddkConnSpec><viConn name="192.168.1.3" authdPort="902" vicPort="443" /><vmxPath vmRef="30" datacenterRef="ha-datacenter" datacenterIn

The source is ESXI 5.5 and the destination is ESXI 6.7

Thanks!!!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello Adrian,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

If none of the aforementioned solutions help, please reach out to our technical support team directly and post your support case ID here once you have it. This procedure is in place to make sure you get a solution ASAP and community members benefit from such posts.

Thanks
Matej.Sur
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matej Sur

Post by Matej.Sur »

Hi everybody! I have similar problem. Backups often fail with error:

Failed to open VDDK disk [xxx.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [xxx];Port: 443;Login: [veeam@vsphere.local];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-23766];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-26772];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to open disk for read.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

and in log is this additional info: VDDK error: 30028 (Network operation timed out). Value: 0x000000000000754c

I have tried to use different transport modes, and proxies but no difference. Originally I suspected network connection but there is no errors or any problems. Backup jobs sometime works fine, sometime some jobs are successful at retry and sometime jobs fail. Any advice or idea? Thanks a lot in advance!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Matej,

Have you already raised a support case? If so, what's your case ID?

Thanks
joebranca
Enthusiast
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Post by joebranca »

Overnight with no changes to the environment, all VMs on a specific ESX host (out of about 14 or 15 in a cluster) are failing backups with this error. Specifically:

Error: Failed to open VDDK disk vmstore* *.vmdk ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vcenter.fqdn];Port: 443;Login: [veeam.credentials];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-4126];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-9762436];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to open disk for read.
Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vddkConnSpec>];
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

I had a very similar situation a couple of months back where a particular target ESX host in a remote site cluster had replications to its VM replicas failing. I opened a case for that at the time (05445191) but could not determine root cause and the situation cleared itself up after a couple of days.

I'll open a separate case for this issue but I'm wondering if this behavior points to something obvious, despite no change to the hosts/cluster on the VMWare side?