Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: James

6.1 - VeeamZip Scheduled jobs?

Post by jcwuerfl »

How would someone schedule a VeeamZip job vs. a Copy or Backup job?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 6.1 - VeeamZip Scheduled jobs?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VeeamZIP backups are ad-hoc only, so If you want to have a scheduled VM backup, use regular backup jobs instead. Thanks!
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast

Post by jcwuerfl »

Thanks. Issue is we don't have enough local disk to do regular backups currently. So I've been doing copy jobs, backing them to tape, and then deleting the files on disk before going on to the next copy job. Having the ability to schedule VeeamZip jobs would be nice. That would compress them and help not store as much on tape which would be good. I suppose I could zip the files via my powershell script to do the same as this. Oh well. Thanks anyway.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

jcwuerfl wrote:Having the ability to schedule VeeamZip jobs would be nice.
VeeamZIP with scheduling functionality is a backup job, so it is already there ;) How does scheduling help you to save space on the target storage?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I supposed having VeeamZIP scheduling functionality will save much more on money than space, since for many environment it will be good enough, and it would be free. I cannot see how full-only backups will save on space compared to incremental ones, but I suspect also the OP knows this... 8)

And I can bet it's why scheduling option is not available in VeeamZIP...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

jcwuerfl wrote:Thanks. Issue is we don't have enough local disk to do regular backups currently. So I've been doing copy jobs, backing them to tape, and then deleting the files on disk before going on to the next copy job.
You should setup regular Veeam backup job with the following settings: reversed-incremental backup mode, 1 restore point to keep. Do not delete backup files (with these settings, you don't need to).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

For automating ad-hoc VeeamZIP backups, we are adding the corresponding PowerShell cmdlet in the next patch. This will allow you to trigger ad-hoc backup of any VM from the script, and then initiate tape backup and delete the backup file from disk in the same script. But, keep in mind that PowerShell API is only available with paid edition of our product (not sure which edition you are using). Thanks!
marcseitz
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Marc Seitz

Post by marcseitz »

Hi Anton,

that sounds great, that the PowerShell API will be extended for Veeam ZIP.
Are you able to provide a Date, when this patch will be available?

Thanks & Regards,
Marc
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is no ETA yet, as we need to get enough "bad" bugs reported to justify the patch release... which appears to be a hard task with 6.1 ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We will be trying to release it sooner rather than later, as it has at least 3 fairly major enhancements that we want out of the door (not a bugfix). But we also don't want to release patches too often (as nobody likes to upgrade often), so we need to balance here, and make sure we capture all common issues right away, so that you don't have to upgrade to another patch soon.
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast

Post by jcwuerfl »

I have Enterprise so having the powershell api for Veeamzip would be great start with this. For any kind of full or synthethec full i would need about 1.5tb I found by doing a backup recording the size on disk for each VM and i have about 500gb and thats with the normal veeam compression. What i cant seem to do as easy is delete the veeam backup off disk like i can with the Veeam copy jobs and powershell. Perhaps I will post my veeam copy poweshell script for feedback. Glad to hear that might be available soon.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

VeeamZIP cmdlet has been implemented, and will be available with 6.1 Patch 1 release.
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast

Post by jcwuerfl »

awesome! and thats why I love veeam!
nick.bennett
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Bennett

Backup Free Edition Scheduling

Post by nick.bennett »

[merged]

Hi,

I have read on other posts on this forum that from 6.1, scheduling was introduced through the powershell API's. I am looking for some more detailed instructions, any body able to help?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nick,

VeeamZIP scheduling options will be introduced through the PowerShell API for paid versions of Veeam B&R only.

Thanks!
nurbi76
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: nick

Post by nurbi76 »

hi,
I need to do the same for my customer. they want to make a zip copy of vm to a local disk of backup server, get it with tape library and then delete it.
It would be nice if, for enterprise edition, veeamzip will be schedulable, so the user can make a specific job by gui.
They need this feature because they haven't enough space on high availability storage.

thanks!
nurbi76
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: nick

Post by nurbi76 »

Gostev wrote: You should setup regular Veeam backup job with the following settings: reversed-incremental backup mode, 1 restore point to keep. Do not delete backup files (with these settings, you don't need to).
what does you mean when you say "do not delete backup files" ? which attributes? do u refer to advanced settings - advanced - VM retention ? how many days do you set?

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nick,

Scheduled VeeamZIP job will take the same amount of free space as a reversed incremental backup job with a retention policy configured to save only 1 restore point.

There is no need to delete backup files prior running the next reversed incremental backup job pass, as during incremental run new data will be injected to the VBK file (latest backup state) and you will have only 1 full backup file at the end of the job pass.

Thanks!
jcwuerfl
Enthusiast

Post by jcwuerfl »

We could do that, but then they would be need to be deleted off disk so the next VM would have enough space to be backed up to disk, then tape. aka 500gb isn't much when you are trying to backup about 120 VMs. To keep all of our backups on disk I found I would need about 2TB of storage including compression etc. Found that out by backing up each VM recording the size on disk and then deleting it and did that for all of our VMs.

Thanks
jdahl
Lurker
Full Name: Jeremy Dahl

Post by jdahl »

Hi,
I've updated Veeam to the latest patch to get access to the PowerShell cmdlet for VeeamZip (yes, paid version), but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to set up a script to set up a scheduled job. Is there any documentation that would get me started on setting this up? I've looked around, but I haven't had any success in finding anything yet.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jeremy,

Since VeeamZIP does not have any scheduling options even in the GUI, but rather is a manually triggered process, you should be using Windows Task Manager to schedule your VeeamZIP PowerShell script.

Thanks!
jdahl
Lurker
Full Name: Jeremy Dahl

Post by jdahl »

Thanks Vitaliy,
That part I understand... It's creating the script that has me stumped - I have no idea the format or the syntax required. I was hoping to find some documentation, or a starter script that I can work with. Once I have this script the scheduling is easy. I'm really looking forward to setting this up, as we use Veeam for our own backups, and have several clients that do as well.
Thanks for your help!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Jeremy, you can get the PowerShell reference guide at the product page on our web site (under the Resources tab) and/or search this forum for script examples - there are a handful of them.
gdelgado
Lurker
Full Name: Gerardo Delgado

[MERGED] Veeam Backup Zip Automated Backups

Post by gdelgado »

Is there a way to schedule a Veeam Zip backup for a VM or is it only possible manually?

Thanks.