Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankenherder
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Herder

Does Veeam leave any hooks in snapshots?

Post by frankenherder »

Hello, we are running Veeam 5.
Apparantly in October a snapshot was not able to be deleted after the Veeam backup. All of a sudden this is discovered in June and there are 14 snapshots present. I have a open VMware ticket as we cannot commit or delete the snapshots. I am wondering if it would be possible to use veeam to resolve this issue by taking a full backup again, then restoring it and downing my Virtual server and run the restored copy? Would that backup commit all existing snapshots?

Vmware is at the point where they are recommending cloning the VM, and running the clone instead of the existing one.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance! once I get this sorted out I will need to address why it was not deleting the snapshots.

Thanks
Matt
frankenherder
Novice

Re: Does Veeam leave any hooks in snapshots?

Post by frankenherder »

I have a support case open with Veeam but I think I just found the problem.

My Vcenter is on the same virtual host as Veeam is running on. It appears that Veeam mounts a virtual disk to the location it is taking the snapshot of. When it failed to delete the snapshot, it did not remove the disk being mounted so the location was mounted on 2 different VM's. I downed my Vcenter server with Veeam on it, and connected directly to the host and it appears that my snapshots are finally committing.

I cannot wait to hear from support to see what happened and how to prevent it from happening again if my theory is correct.

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

frankenherder wrote:I am wondering if it would be possible to use veeam to resolve this issue by taking a full backup again, then restoring it and downing my Virtual server and run the restored copy? Would that backup commit all existing snapshots?
Yes, that would help.
frankenherder wrote:My Vcenter is on the same virtual host as Veeam is running on. It appears that Veeam mounts a virtual disk to the location it is taking the snapshot of.
It might happen only when you're using HotAdd mode to backup/replicathe virtual machines. If you switch to network processing mode, this should not be seen again.

On top of that, I would strongly recommend you to upgrade your Veeam B&R server to our latest version available (#6.1) as it contains lots of new features/improvements and bug fixes.
frankenherder
Novice

Post by frankenherder »

Thanks for the reply. This issue is resolved. I figured it out with VMware support and was forwarded the following KB from Veeam support. it is funny how you cannot find the KB's when you need them.
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/KB1213

option 2 is what was done.

Matt