Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PK_GAA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter K.

Virtual discs get disconnected after veeam jobs

Post by PK_GAA »

Hello,

I couldn't find a similar topic, so I post it as a new topic.
In our company we have virtual system of about 10 VMs (mostly Windows 2008 R2) on three esx-hosts (with VMWare vCenter Server 5.0.0) we face a problem, where two of our VMs (both not in the same job and not on the same host) wont reboot correctly because the virtual disc has been disconnected from the VM's settings. After reattaching the virtual disc everything reboots fine. We upgraded to Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1 about 10 days ago. But the problem also showed up when we used v6.0
The problem is not frequently but often enough to be concerned about because productive interfaces are running on them.
One of the VMs is a vSphere Client and the other one is working as a proxy in Veeam.
The vShpere Client is backuped and replicated in single jobs, the other one is backuped and replicated with six other VMs in one job.
Both VMs are located on the same esx host and both virtual discs are located at the same storage but on different SATA discs, that's why we don't think it is a storage disc problem.
Our Veeam Backup & Replication contains 5 sheduled tasks (two incremental backup jobs (running daily in the evening) and three replication jobs (running daily every two hours)). We set up three proxies and one repository. the repository is located in another building.

We didn't open a support case because the problem is not drastic but annoying. I hope someone can help us with our problem.

Thank you!
PK_GAA
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Virtual discs get disconnected after veeam jobs

Post by foggy »

Worth opening a case for deeper investigation, I suppose, as there are no obvious reasons for such behavior.
PK_GAA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter K.

Post by PK_GAA »

Ok, this is now a support case: ID#5201398

I also opened a support request at vmware (#12189588306). Hopefully this can be figured out.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

I had (have?) the same problem specifically with a backup proxy. Tech support told me that the backup proxy should not be used to back itself up or replicate itself. I only changed a week ago so I don't know yet if it's fixed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

It's "had" (was the case, but pretty long ago).
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

Well -- I was told this just last week.

Case #5198970
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

It will work fine, just auto-failover from san/hotadd to network, because attaching own disks to self causes mess.