Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
christiankelly
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Christian Kelly

Veeam replication resiliency through a VPN that renegotiates

Post by christiankelly »

I was hoping that 6.1 was going to fix this however I’m still having trouble with Veeam replication through a VPN tunnel that occasionally drops and rebuilds. When that happens the job fails and I get an error: Error: Client error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.

The drop is under 60 seconds while the VPN tunnel renegotiates and I don’t see why Veeam can’t take that kind of delay. I’m replacing some Equallogic SAN-2-SAN replication jobs with Veeam and the Equallogic jobs can deal with the tunnel renegotiation without starting over but Veeam can’t seem to.

Is there anything on the horizon that would address this?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam replication resiliency through a VPN that renegoti

Post by foggy »

Christian, yes, we do plan to add resume transfer functionality down the road. Currently, Veeam B&R can resist to very bad connections and minor packet loss but if the connection is dropped, the job fails and the data is retransferred during the next job run.
christiankelly
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Christian Kelly

Post by christiankelly »

That's good news. Some jobs are LONG. I have a job that takes about 12+ hours so being able to withstand a dropped tunnel is important because if it fails it even takes longer the next time.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 3 people like this post

Even today Veeam can actually survive fairly long periods of outages, however, typically when there is a complete loss it means that some network device (possibly the VPN device itself) reported the loss of the connection via an ICMP "destination unreachable". This will signal Windows to close the TCP connection and unfortunately, as stated above, right now there is no resume function. You can sometimes work around these by filtering out the ICMP "destination unreachable" messages from the Windows proxies using the Windows firewall, at which point the link becomes subject to TCP timeouts only, which are generally quite long.

You can also use a product like Hyper-IP, which uses techniques like ICMP suppression and TCP keepalives to help TCP connections survive link outages. It's quite effective.

All of that being said, 60 seconds to renegotiate a VPN connection seems pretty long, might want to look at ways to reduce that time.