Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
levibeckner
Novice
Liked: never

Storage Consumption Trend Report

Post by levibeckner »

Is there a way to see how used/free space has changed over time? For example, I have a VM (Windows Guest) that is reporting a local drive as nearly full, but I *think* it is a slow rate of change (1GB/month rather than 1GB/Day).

So I am looking for a report that will show me the growth rate of a guest volume. And VMFS volumes, too.

Thanks,

Levi
levibeckner
Novice

Re: Storage Consumption Trend Report

Post by levibeckner »

I found this for VMFS by selecting Datastores -> [myDataStore] from the tree on the left in Veeam Monitor, then selecting the Disk Space tab on the right.

Is there an equivalent for guests?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Levi,

Guest disk space trending is not there yet, but I guess you can check that by alarm history. Have you been able to look through it? Were there any other entries for the same VM about guest disk space?

Thank you.
Scott42
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Shepard

Post by Scott42 »

I have just come on to the forum looking for the same thing.

I had a previous monitoring system where we were able to create a graph of guest disk usage now we are using Veeam this view is gone. The alerting is great and the point in time view bar graphs that is seen on the summary page are great but a graph over time is extremely useful.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Scott, if you could regularly receive reports with current guest disk free space consumption would that help? By the way could you please elaborate how do you use these trends? It would help us a lot when we start implementing this report. Thanks!
Scott42
Novice
Full Name: Scott Shepard

Post by Scott42 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Scott, if you could regularly receive reports with current guest disk free space consumption would that help? By the way could you please elaborate how do you use these trends? It would help us a lot when we start implementing this report. Thanks!
Hi Vitality,

Sorry about the slow reply.

I dug through some old notes and I found a picture of one of the graphs we used to be able to do. Basically the report was a graphical view of what the host storage capacity is. We then used the information to give to the boss to say this is what our storage is doing we need to purchase more disk (Trending over time).

The problem with VMWare is the SAN knows how much storage has been alocated to the virtual enviroment and how much it has free within the san but not how much the Virtual enviroment is actualy using.
The virtual enviroment knows how much storage has been alocated to VM's but doesnt know how much storage that has been alocated to a VM is actualy used.
Finally you can look at what is used on the VM but that will only tell you how much is used/free at that particular point in time and as you have sujested if you had multiple reports you could see the trend over time and make decisions based on that.

We need to be able to be able to get trending on the actual guest disks in order to plan and to proactivly adjust disk size (we do not use thin provisioning).

Below is a screenshot of the graph we used to be able to get from a previous vendor, this graph actualy uses a percentage which isnt so usefull sometimes because %10 of 600GB is very different from %10 of 20GB the scale needs to show both real and percentage values. Also if it has the hover to get the values the same as you have done with all of your other graphs that would be brilliant.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for a detailed explanation.

Actually we already have Datastore Usage report (in v6) that will show you the dynamics of datastore usage metrics, including space usage (free/used) and disk provisioning rates, so I'm quite not sure why you have this problem:
Scott42 wrote:The problem with VMWare is the SAN knows how much storage has been alocated to the virtual enviroment and how much it has free within the san but not how much the Virtual enviroment is actualy using.
Thanks!
carlnz
Novice
Full Name: Carl Snelgrove

Post by carlnz »

Hi Vitaliy, In a nutshell can we get the "Guest Disk Space Usage" report but with a timeframe included (ie Past Month / Past Week etc)

Thanks, Carl
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Carl, "Guest Disk Space Usage" report displays only current state of disk usage, but thanks for the feedback, I believe it shouldn't be hard to add it to the future updates.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

+1

Here is an example of a product we are using now that has awesome reports with respect to guest disk space and trending. The forecasting is pretty cool too. :)

carlnz
Novice
Full Name: Carl Snelgrove

Post by carlnz »

Hi Vitaliy,

Cant see that this requested trend for disk space usage over time has made it into VEEAM ONE v6.5 unless I am missing something ?

thanks
Carl
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Carl,

Yes, you're right. This report is not released yet. It appeared that our collector engine would require significant modification to allow saving guest disk space usage data points, and since it was close to RTM we had to postpone it to the next updates.

Thanks!
natrimac
Influencer
Full Name: Will Pulsifer

Post by natrimac »

is this in V7? i am looking, but cant find it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Will, have you already checked the VMware Custom Performance? Is that something you're looking for? Thanks.