Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
steelite_matt
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Vernon

vib / vbk explanation needed (newbie question)

Post by steelite_matt »

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of clarity on restoring from vib / vbk files.

In our current set up we run a daily incremental backup and then backup to tape every friday night for DR (the retention policy for old veeam backups is 2 weeks)

From what I understand vib files are the increments and vbk files are the full backups.

If I want to restore a server that is out of the 2 week window (ie get it back off a tape) do I need to just restore the vib file or do I need to restore the nearest vbk and vib file? Does this change should we do DR ie no existing veeam backups and everything is on tape only?

Many thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: vib / vbk explanation needed (newbie question)

Post by foggy »

Matt, to restore from the specific restore point, the whole chain of increments since the latest vbk to that restore point is required. E.g. if you need to restore from the Wednesday backup, you need the Monday vbk plus Tuesday and Wednesday vib's.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

And after a synthetic full there will be vrb's too - like vib's, but working backwards.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

J1mbo wrote:And after a synthetic full...
...with enabled transformation to rollbacks...
steelite_matt
Influencer

Post by steelite_matt »

Hmm think I'll just stick to working out the vib's and vbk's for now!

Many thanks for your help.
steelite_matt
Influencer

Post by steelite_matt »

Hmm actually I just realised that we do have a vrb... Under what situation would we need that? Is it basically just the case that if we need to restore thursday we need everything from (and including) the last vbk to thursdays file (all vibs and vrb's inbetween?)

Also just to check, our current backup is set to Incremental with Enable synthetic fulls (forever incremental ticked) the Perform Full Backups periodically is NOT ticked, do the synthetic fulls take the place of this?

Many thanks again.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo » 2 people like this post

Yes, a synthetic full is a (very disk intensive) operation performed by Veeam to start with the last VBK and roll all VIB files into it, to create a new VBK - at this point, that file alone being needed to restore the most recent backups.

Also (if transform to rollbacks is enabled as pointed out above :) ) the restore points previously consisting of the VBK + VIB (increment) files are converted to roll-backs, VBKs.

So at this point, directly after the synthentic full and transform, the most recent backup needs the VBK alone, and previous restore points - the number of which is controlled by the setting in the job - need the VRB rollback files.

So then, after the next backup has been performed, a VIB (increment) is then added so we have VBK as the base, VRB to get at backups before that VBK, and VIB files to get at backups since the VBK.

Does that help?
steelite_matt
Influencer

Post by steelite_matt »

It does help yes thanks! The on closer inspection we also have a vbm file, am I correct in thinking that this is only "helper" files and not in fact anything to do with data / restoration?
*edit* just thought of another question! If I add a new VM server halfway between 2 vbk's (say midweek) would the next incremental backup actually have a full backup of that new server or do I need to tell VEEAM that this server needs a full backup?
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

steelite_matt wrote:The on closer inspection we also have a vbm file, am I correct in thinking that this is only "helper" files and not in fact anything to do with data / restoration?
Yes, vbm files store backup metadata and allow to speed up some operations (import of backup files, for example). They are not required for restore, vbk/vib/vrb files are sufficient.
steelite_matt wrote:If I add a new VM server halfway between 2 vbk's (say midweek) would the next incremental backup actually have a full backup of that new server or do I need to tell VEEAM that this server needs a full backup?
If you add a new VM in the backup job, the next job run will take a full backup of this VM.
steelite_matt
Influencer

Post by steelite_matt »

That's great :)

Many thanks to both of you for your help.

Matt