PowerShell script exchange
jlsung
Influencer
Liked: never

[FEATURE REQUEST] New cmdlet Guest Processing

Post by jlsung »

Hi,

Veeam provides cmdlet to add/remove (type include/exclude) objects. We need to add VssChild by script to configure Guest Processing (#5172655).
As requested by your support, could you to take my feature request into consideration ?

J-L.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] New cmdlet Guest Processing

Post by tsightler »

Not sure what you are asking for. It is already possible to manipulate VSS options for both the global settings and individual child objects. Here's some sample code that adds an object to a job and then modifies the VSS options for that object.

Code: Select all

Add-VBRJobObject -Job $CurrentVeeamJob -Server $VeeamVCserver -Objects $VM.VMName
   # Set Job Object VSS Properties
   $NewVeeamJobObjects = Get-VBRJobObject -job $CurrentVeeamJob
   foreach ($object in $NewveeamJobObjects){
      $VSSJobObjectOptions = $object.GetVssOptions()
      $VSSJobObjectOptions.Enabled = $true
      $VSSJobObjectOptions.IgnoreErrors = $true
      $VSSJobObjectOptions.GuestFSIndexingType = "None"
      $object.SetVssOptions($VSSJobObjectOptions)
}
If I'm misunderstanding the request please clarify.
jlsung
Influencer

Post by jlsung »

Hi,

We backup by VMs containers and we have to add manually all objects of these containers in guest processing list. My request is about to add by script.
Your code will modify objects after they are added.
J-L.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

OK, so you want to be able to simply add the container, but then enumerate the VMs for VSS options?

I'd like to verify why this is useful for you. Even if this capability was available, you'd still have to enumerate each VM and add them via PowerShell. Basically, an object with VSS options set is simply a special job object with some different flags set so that they don't appear in the GUI on the object selection screen. Specifically:

Type : VssChild
IsIncluded : False
IsVssChild : True
PolicyType : VSS

Since you would have to add these objects anyway, why not simply have the Powershell enumerate the container and add the objects to the job which then allow you to set the VSS options. Why is enumerating them only for VSS options preferred? (Note I already have an idea as to your answer, but just want to verify).
jlsung
Influencer

Post by jlsung »

For example, we use a different password for each VM.
As I know when I add a datastore, it appears in guest processing list. I set applications setting to "ignore failures " so the whole VMs in this datastore will use this setting and the default credential.
First I have to add these VMs first in guest processing list then I set password or another parameter (Windows = VSS and Unix = Disable application processing) on each VM.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler »

Understood. In the interim as an unsupported workaround you could simply add the objects and then change the type in the DB directly (change object type from "0" to "2" in the "ObjectsinJob" table). Very easy and low risk.

It looks like there's a possibility to change the type via Powershell but so far I can't make it work, so the direct DB method is the only way that I can see for now.
jlsung
Influencer

Post by jlsung »

Nice ! I tried and It works fine !
Let me know if this function will be add in next release

Thanks Tom :D