Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Very Impressive perfomance

Post by zak2011 »

Currently i am trying out VBR6.1 and backup up my exchange server which has over 1TB vmdk. Usually in Backup Exec 2012 it takes me almost 15 to 20 hours to do a Full backup whereas Veeam took me only 3:26. I ran the backup during normal working hours. There was no performance issues on Exchange that time. That was a really impressive score. I would just like to know how to do i know the daily change rate for each VM i have backed up. I have included to backup 17 VM now in one job. Also is there a way to know, how much dedup and compression has taken place on each VM.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Very Impressive perfomance

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Arun,

Great numbers! Thanks for letting us now.

If you want to review change rate for every VM, you need to take a look at the corresponding job session log. Each session contains information about total number of transferred MBs as well as the amount of new data blocks that have been returned by VMware CBT mechanism for each virtual disk in the backup job.

Thanks!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Where you referring to the report..Is that the same as the job session log? I tried running the same job twice and when i go to the Last 24 hours and right click on any of the jobs and go to report it shows be under transferred the different sizes. However i can see the total dedup and compression for all the VMs in this selection. Is there a way to know dedup and compression per VM in the same job?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Both deduplication and compression are performed between all virtual disks of all VMs in the job so the rates per VM make no sense.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Okay. But if for instance i need to know how much dedup and compression has taken place on a large VM ( ie..above 1TB), it may be useful for me rather than creating a seperate job again for the VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Arun, shared data blocks cannot be attributed to any single VM, so it simply impossible to show deduplication ratio on per VM-basis.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Is this what you meant by "shared data blocks" ,when multiple VMs are configured in one job, then Veeam server sees the data to be backed up as one shared data block or perhaps i understood incorrectly. Could you help me understand this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

When you have multiple VMs added to the job, you cannot really say what the dedupe ratio is for every VM in the job because of the shared data blocks between the VMs.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks for the reply. I think i got it now. Since each backup job is one .vib file , so it is not possible to tell the dedupe ration for each VM.