Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cmb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Bowen

Group Policy Objects

Post by cmb »

Hello,

I'm in the middle of implementing Veeam Backup & Replication v6.1 on to our estate. During a presentation this morning describing the product and my implementation I was asked a question about Group Policy Objects.

I know from my testing how to restore Active Directory objects, but I was asked if it is possible to restore Group Policy Objects. The intention being to see if GPO's have been changed / edited / deleted and if so can these be subsequently restored.

Is this Group Policy restore an option in B&R v6.1?

Many thanks
Craig
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Group Policy Objects

Post by foggy »

Craig, Veeam B&R does not provide the built-in capabilities for restoring GPO's, but you can utilize the Instant Recovery feature to fire up the domain controller from backup and use native AD tools (e.g. Group Policy Editor) to export the required objects and then import them into your production server. Thanks!
cmb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Bowen

Post by cmb »

Hi foggy,

That makes sense - thanks for the quick answer. I've fired up various servers during testing using the Instant Recovery feature, that will work a treat for us.

Maybe add built-in GPO restore to the feature request list for version 6.2?! :wink:

Thanks again,
Craig
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

cmb wrote:Maybe add built-in GPO restore to the feature request list for version 6.2?! :wink:
We'll make a note, thanks for the feedback.