Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
a_user
Influencer
Liked: never

Not Enough Licenses

Post by a_user »

I have 4 licenses, one of each physical cpu of my two node cluster. I recently added a third server to my esx cluster and now am receiving a message that I do not have enough licenses. The third newly added esx host does not contain any vm's i am concerned about backing up. It appears to me however that just because this host has been added, now I dont have enough licensing to back up my legitimate hosts where the vm's that need to be backed up reside.

I need this resolved asap and I do not believe a situation like this should be requiring another license if no vm's reside on the host are to be backed up. I should note that previously I was backing up the vm's regardless of host but I have also tried to configure the backups to categorize by esx host as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Not Enough Licenses

Post by Gostev »

Hello, Veeam Backup performs license verification against ESX hosts when backup job is runnning. Before backing up every VM, Veeam Backup looks up if ESX host for the corresponding VM is already present in the list of licensed hosts. If the host is not present there, it is added to the list. So, the only possible way for newly added ESX host to affect Veeam Backup licensing, is to backup a VM running on it.

In any case, even if this happens accidentally, you can always resolve this situation immediately using the Help | License information dialog in Veeam Backup interface. This dialog lets you review currently licensed ESX hosts, and revoke licenses from unneeded hosts.

By the way, please note that whenever you need help ASAP, it is best to contact our support instead of posting the issue on forums. This forum is not constantly monitored on weekdays, and is generally never monitored on weekends. I am just stuck in the city this weekend because of family reasons. :)
mprentice
Lurker
Full Name: Matthew Prentice

v6 Backup up vCenter 5

Post by mprentice »

[merged]

We have an Enterprise Full license for Backup & Replication with 6 CPU sockets for vSphere. The 6 CPU sockets are licensed to our 3 vSphere 5.0u1 host servers.

The first server in our Backup job is the vCenter 5.0 virtual machine running Windows 2008 64-bit (not R2). That server fails to backup with the Error: Not Enough Licenses message. All the other servers (20+) succeed.

Do we need additional host CPU socket licenses to backup the vCenter server?

http://www.veeam.com/KB1470 is not really the issue.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matthew,

The ESX(i) server which hosts your vCenter Server should be listed in the licensed hosts table as well as other ESX(i) servers which are used to run the VMs you're protecting with Veeam B&R.

Thanks!
mprentice
Lurker
Full Name: Matthew Prentice

Post by mprentice »

Thank you Vitaliy. It didn't even click with me that we had actually moved the vCenter server onto the local Veeam destination server rather than having it on one of the licensed source servers.