Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sfens
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Seth Fenster

Can I setup periodic status update emails for long job?

Post by sfens »

Hi,

Is it possible to setup an email status update to be sent for a long running backup job? I have a job that runs over the WAN using incremental backups, but it takes a long time to run. The transform also take a long time over the WAN. Instead of having to log in and look in the interface, especially when I'm on the go, I'd love to just check my email and see periodic updates.

Example:

Email at 1pm - Job "Remote backup" 20 % done
Email at 2 pm - Job "Remote backup" 35 % done

etc

Thanks,

Seth
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can I setup periodic status update emails for long job?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Seth,

There is no built-in capability to do that, however I'm pretty sure that it should be possible to achieve with a PowerShell script. Basically, the script should check your backup/replication job status and then forward the result to your email. Please refer to our PowerShell community forums for assistance with the script.

On top of that, could you please clarify one thing for me please, would it be better to have this as an alarm (similar to what we have in Veeam ONE) that will be fired if the duration of the backup/replication job exceeds the defined threshold or it should be a scheduled report/email notification?

Thanks!