Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
charleyhinton
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charley Hinton

Veeam Proxy Database location

Post by charleyhinton »

Hello,

I originally had a single Veeam Server used for backup only. We have since built a replication environment as well. I created a Veeam proxy server at Site A, and a proxy server at Site B. I plan to manage all jobs from my original server, and delegate proxy processing to . Do you suggest that I point both of the replication proxy's databases back to the original Veeam server database, or keep them separated with their own SQL instances? Currently they have their own, but I'm wondering if I'm losing any functionality by doing this (other than not being able to see all my infrastructure jobs when logged into a proxy server). Please let me know what would be the best practice here.

I'm thinking, at the very least, that I should have a SQL instance for each geographical location?

Veeam Version: Veeam B&R 6.1

Thanks,
Charley
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam Proxy Database location

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Charley,
it's not necessary. You can simply keep the central Veeam server, and then deploy only the proxy role to those two servers, and than command them from the Veeam server itself. In this way, you can control all your jobs from a central location and have also centralized logs.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Proxy Database location

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Charley,

Proxy servers do not have a backend database, only Veeam B&R has it, so I assume you have deployed additional backup server on the remote site, correct?

If you're concerned about not having a single view of your virtual environment, then I would suggest to deploy Enterprise Manager and manage your Veeam B&R servers from a single console.

Thanks!