Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
markfellows
Expert
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Mark Fellows

New Tool - Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by markfellows » 4 people like this post

Just heard about this tool in the 'Finding a Home for Your VMware and Hyper-V Backups' webinar.

Excellent looking tool and it will only make granular Exchange 2010 restores easier. Provides the ability to restore individual items directly from the Exchange database file (hope there's no additional charge for customers with maintenance agreements :wink: ).

Well done Veeam. :D
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Re: New Tool - Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by jeremyh8 »

when does this tool release and how do we get it?
markfellows
Expert

Post by markfellows »

The presenter of the webinar (Rick Vanover) implied it would be in the next release but didn't really provide any more information than that.
markfellows
Expert

Post by markfellows »

This tool seems to make restoring singular items even easier and will only encourage more people to swap out their ‘traditional’ backup software for image based solutions like Veeam.

One feature I have found absent in Veeam B&R is the ability to restore databases (SQL and Exchange) and then replay logs to create a point in time database. A couple of questions :

1). For the Veeam guys, are these features likely to be added in future releases? I think I’ve read that such features for SQL may be in the pipeline but what about Exchange?
2). For everyone else, what are you doing in a single Exchange server environment (no DAG)? For example if you experience database corruption in the middle of the day would you just restore the evening backup (depending on RPO), are you just taking more regular backups (e.g. hourly) or would you attempt to manually replay the logs with eseutil.

Obviously with the SQL transaction log issue this can be overcome by using the native SQL maintenance tools. I know Windows Server Backup in Windows 2008 R2 & Exchange 2010 (with the VSS plug in) has improved but I’ve not tested them yet.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

1) For SQL - yes, since we had many requests for this. For Exchange - have not had similar requests yet, so I am assuming such log replay works already.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Post by jeremyh8 »

is there a mailing list or calendar of events that i am overlooking to know when webinars and webex presentations are happening?
markfellows
Expert

Post by markfellows »

I receive email notifications but I'm not sure how I'm on the mailing list.

Maybe it's specified in the Subscription Preferences in your Veeam account profile (maybe under the Free Technical Content section?).
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

jeremyh8 wrote:when does this tool release and how do we get it?
http://www.veeam.com/microsoft-exchange-explorer.html or on our forums at Exclusive Beta - Veeam Explorer for Exchange - Apply Now!
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

jeremyh8 wrote:is there a mailing list or calendar of events that i am overlooking to know when webinars and webex presentations are happening?
One way to subscribe to Veeam webinars, events, etc is to go to http://www.veeam.com/webinars.html?ad=menu and click the "Subscribe" button on the top right of the page. I don't think you even have to have an account from that link.
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Post by zak2011 »

How do i do an exchange database restore using VBR 6.1 and replay it to a point in time ?
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Arun, you can restore Exchange database and log files but there's no automatic logs replay. If you want point-in-time restore, you should use native tools.
neyz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexandre NEY

Post by neyz »

I just tried the combo VBR 6.5 and Exchange Explorer and it works great. Only problem i see is not being able to do point in time restore based on the Exchange logs which is quite frustrating as the logs are being backed up. Any plans on this ?

Cheers !
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, how exactly do you see point-in-time restore being helpful when performing a deleted item recovery?