Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

vPower NFS Performance

Post by J1mbo »

In restoring a number of VMs for a test environment, I noticed that the vPower NFS service (note, under v5) isn't really exercising the hardware as much as it could. Concurrently moving 3 VMs from vPower-NFS to other host storage, I see average queue depth < 1, quite a bit of IO on the system volume (SQL server?), and heavy disk cache expansion. Also the IO sizes are averaging 42KB.

So really just some observations. I wondered if the NFS server implemented any (configurable?) read-ahead, whether there is some limit to its concurrency (nfsd threads, in Linux terms), whether it would make sense for preference to be given to SQL server RAM over the file cache, and whether the IO sizes could be configured to match the array stripe size?

Many thanks!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: vPower NFS Performance

Post by Cokovic »

In the documentation they say the vPower NFS performance by Veeam is limited. But no numbers how much or in which way. I'm actually in touch with a Systems Engineer of Veeam to check on that and get some more informations on this as we plan to put 10Gbit NICs in our Veeam servers to improve performance on instant restores. We just don't know if it will make sense as the vPower NFS is limited. This is why i'm in touch with this engineer. If i got some more informations i will post it here. Or maybe someone from Veeam here can enlighten us :wink:
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Seems that i maybe missunderstood something in the documentation as the answer by the Engineer is that there is no known performance limitation on vPower NFS performance. But still wainting on the final answer. Will report back here when i got it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What is meant in the documentation, is that vPower NFS is limited from the storage I/O perspective (no exact numbers as they would vary for different storages). So putting faster NICs will not help to improve IR, you'd rather consider using faster disks for that.

vPower NFS does not allow and was not designed to power on dozens of VMs at a time, but only the most critical ones (realistic number of decently running from vPower NFS VMs in most cases does not exceed 10). As we like to say, vPower NFS is like a "spare tire" in case of disaster, but not a basis for your DR strategy.

Some more considerations in these threads: vPower NFS performance with ssd (or high-end SAS-raid) and Planning my deployement? Any advice, some questions.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Alexander is correct, vPower NFS is largely limited by the storage I/O, however, it is also not multi-threaded from the perspective that it will top out at a single CPU even when multiple CPUs are available. vPower NFS was not designed to be a high performance NFS server, but rather an acceptable performance solution that allows you to restore a VM quickly when a system is down. Of course, as with almost any technology, you can always stretch it beyond it's design, but at some point it will break.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Ah ok. Thanks for the info guys. Anyway we will put a 10Gbit NIC into our development Veeam server for testing purposes ;)

Also my goal was never to Instant Restore as much VMs as possible at a time. Just trying to improve restore times of large (or VERY large) VMs.
paulhardy
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Hardy

Post by paulhardy »

Cokovic - any news on how the testing went? -I'm very interested in this as we have a customer with very large VM's that we would like to reduce the SvMotion times after instant recovery. - Thanks
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Hi Paul,

not yet. But yesterday our two new physical Veeam servers arrived and i'm going to install them today (as far as i know both with 10Gbit NICs). So hopefully within the next few days i'm able to provide you with more info on that.

Cheers,
Haris
paulhardy
Service Provider

Post by paulhardy »

Hi Haris

Exellent look forward to that. I'm having trouble in driving a single 1GB nic to more than 50% when using NFS on 6.1 but if I do a traditional restore (non NFS) I can push the link at 80% plus, unfortunately this has a massive impact when using instant recovery.

Cheers,

Paul
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

So far i've made exactly the same experience. Also there was a little difference if backup file was compressed or not (uncompressed was slightly faster). Will give 10Gbit a shot and come back soon with some results.

Cheers,
Haris
paulhardy
Service Provider

Post by paulhardy »

Haris,

I've also logged a call with support, I'll post what I get back.

thanks,

Paul
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler » 3 people like this post

As stated above, the primary factors for vPower NFS are disk I/O latency, network latency (between ESX host and vPower NFS Proxy, as well as between vPower NFS Proxy and Repository), and finally CPU horsepower. vPower NFS was not designed to deliver high throughput, but was designed to be your "spare tire" when things go wrong to allow a server to be brought online quickly and a reduced performance level.

If you want to get the absolute maximum performance out of vPower NFS you should backup to a physical server with fast local disk (15K SAS work great, but some SSD are even better) and the server should be both the repository and the vPower NFS proxy. That keeps the latency down to the minimum possible level. With many SAS I've seen vPower NFS deliver 60-70MB/sec, and with SSD I've seen that number approach saturation of the 1Gb link, but not much faster due to it's single threaded behavior.

Of course, if you're thowing all of this at your backup storage, and you really need that level of fast restores, then it's really time to start considering replication instead.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

tsightler wrote:As stated above, the primary factors for vPower NFS are disk I/O latency, network latency (between ESX host and vPower NFS Proxy, as well as between vPower NFS Proxy and Repository), and finally CPU horsepower. vPower NFS was not designed to deliver high throughput, but was designed to be your "spare tire" when things go wrong to allow a server to be brought online quickly and a reduced performance level.

If you want to get the absolute maximum performance out of vPower NFS you should backup to a physical server with fast local disk (15K SAS work great, but some SSD are even better) and the server should be both the repository and the vPower NFS proxy. That keeps the latency down to the minimum possible level. With many SAS I've seen vPower NFS deliver 60-70MB/sec, and with SSD I've seen that number approach saturation of the 1Gb link, but not much faster due to it's single threaded behavior.

Of course, if you're thowing all of this at your backup storage, and you really need that level of fast restores, then it's really time to start considering replication instead.
Thats exactly the setup i've got:

2x Intel Xeon E5640 2.67GHz
8GB RAM
Local repository with 13x 1TB 15k SAS harddisk

Restoring the largest VM we have (13.5TB) took 28hrs. As far as i can see from these facts i've saturated the GBit link to its max. And this is why i wanted to test it with a 10Gbit interface as it seems to be the bottleneck (dont know if i can call it a real bottleneck ;))

Sadly we've got the wrong servers delivered. So i have to wait some more weeks to be able to test with 10GBit.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Yep, I would say you definitely saturated the link with 1Gb so I'll be interested to hear how far you pushed it with 10Gb. In the environment that I tested with SSD we had 10Gb but appeared to hit the saturation of the single CPU core at ~140-150MB/sec. That being said, your CPU cores are newer and faster than the ones I tested with, so it would be nice to see what happens.
paulhardy
Service Provider

Post by paulhardy »

I've done some basic tests on the storage performance on the local attached storage on the Veeam proxy, which is an MDS 600 fully loaded with 72 * 2TB SATA disks configured into 2 arrays, coping data from one array to the other I'm seeing between 450-500MB's so I don't think the bottle neck is the local storage well not for 1GB link, so not sure why the link isn't being pushed harder. I will do some more testing.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

As I said before my observations are that the vPower NFS service is absolutely single-threaded and probably has no read ahead and likely is performing IO entirely synchronously. Personally I'm not too fussed about powering on lots of VMs together but I would like faster migration from vPower to production; GbE speeds would be helpful.
paulhardy
Service Provider

Post by paulhardy »

If I carryout multiple IR's (storage vMotion) to different hosts I can drive the physical 1GB link on the proxy to the maximum throughput (100MBps) easily but a single IR (storage vMotion) I only 50-60 MBps max. I can do a full restore direct to the same host (non IR) which drives the link to the maximum throughput, so I know its a performance issue related to the proxy server or the overall NFS service at the proxy end.
paulhardy
Service Provider

Post by paulhardy »

paulhardy wrote:If I carryout multiple IR's (storage vMotion) to different hosts I can drive the physical 1GB link on the proxy to the maximum throughput (100MBps) easily but a single IR (storage vMotion) I only 50-60 MBps max. I can do a full restore direct to the same host (non IR) which drives the link to the maximum throughput, so I know its a performance issue related to the proxy server or the overall NFS service at the proxy end.
Sorry - I know it's not a performance issue related to the proxy server doh!