Management reporting and documentation
meadt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Todd Mead

Report for time taken to relocate Datastores

Post by meadt »

I am trying to figure out where to find the data that will tell me when a a VM is moved from 1 datastore to another datastore. I have looked at the properties basic report pack - infrastructure changes (template) -VM -???? I just can not seem to find what I am looking for. We are trying to figure out how much time has been spent moving vm's to datatstores to make a case for the enterprise version of Sphere. We are using Veeam Reporter version 4 but plan on upgrading soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Report for time taken to relocate Datastores

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Todd,

I do not have Reporter 4 installed in my lab (already switched to v6 :)), but could you please tell me if you see "storage" mentioned in the virtual machine properties list?

Thank you.
meadt
Novice

Post by meadt »

I do have storage under virtual machine but the data I get from the report is not very helpful.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...could you please tell me how exactly you're going to estimate the total time required for migration of other VMs? I will take a look at my labs tomorrow to verify if we have all the data that you need.
meadt
Novice

Post by meadt »

Looks like it may not be a storage event but here is a screen capture of the event that we are looking for.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/capture1lwv.jpg/

If you could help me find the proper way to pull this information that would be great.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Todd, looks like you're looking for a slightly different report which will basically export and analyze VI events for you, right?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to achieve what you looking for either. Out of curiosity, could you please clarify what case for the enterprise version of Sphere you're trying to do?

Thanks for the feedback!
meadt
Novice

Post by meadt »

The case we are tring to get across is that everytime we move a VM from 1 host to another or we need to move a datastore we have to schedule an outage to move the VM. This is usually not a big deal except that means working a weekend or evening and at this point I would rather not work every weekend. If I can show how many hours that systems are down when they don't have to be (vMotion and Storage vMotion) I can justify the cost of the upgrade.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for sharing your use case. There is one workaround that might help you, but you should upgrade your Veeam Reporter 4 to Veeam ONE v6 to use it.

If you want to show how many hours this VM was NOT available, I would suggest using our VM Uptime report. This should help you to justify the upgrade.
meadt
Novice

Post by meadt »

UGGGGGGGG I don't see an Uptime report anywhere may not be in our version.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it's in v6. Why not to install it on a separate machine to get the info you need now and then finish the migration when time allows?