Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jazzy.Jay
Lurker
Liked: never

disater recovery - IRONY!

Post by Jazzy.Jay »

Background...
A backup server running only Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1 has just failed.
The backups are stored/saved off to a NAS device which is all intact. - the existing repository is about 3.4 TB
I have replaced and built up the new server and installed Veeam Backup & Replication 6.1.
- What should have been the next step to fully recovery??
I have tried serching for how to import the 'backup jobs' but have not come accross a satisfactory answer. I have been able to import the backups but not the 'jobs'.
I am currently adding a new (existing) repository using the wizard, again, it ran for nearly 24hours and was still going so i canned it (there was no disk or network activity)

It is currently up to 9 hours on the Importing backups from repository stage. (there is plenty of disk and network activity)
- how long should this take??

The biggest question is. "Will this restore the 'backup jobs'"? Is there even a way to restore the 'jobs', i have found a few post saying that "this will be available in v6 but i still cant see an easy way to do so....

please please please, if there is give me a link or instructions!
thanks in advance.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: disater recovery - IRONY!

Post by Cokovic » 1 person likes this post

The backup repository holds only the backup files and not the jobs itself. The jobs are stored in the Veeam database on the SQL server. Did you use a local SQL Express or a remote SQL server?

If it was a local database you should try to recover the database from the failed server and mount it on your new Veeam server. This will give you back your jobs and your settings. Then just ensure that your Veeam backup file repository is mounted as it was on the old one and you are good to go. No need to import anything then.

If it was a remote SQL server then just connect to it when installing Veeam onto the new server.

Importing your backup files is only needed when you are creating everything from the scratch and setting up all the jobs manually and mapping the imported backups to the newly created jobs.
Jazzy.Jay
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Jazzy.Jay »

Thanks for the reply.

Im guessing that it was setup as a local database. Unfortunately the RAID is so degraded I really doubt there is any chance of recovery.

Im fine with re-creating everything manually, but I am now worried about the add/import or the repository as it has been running for 30 hours. Surely that is a little excessive.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Did you try to create the new repository pointing to your old one and then just rescan it instead of importing it? After that you've got to map the backups to your newly created jobs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jared,

Could you please tell me if you've enabled "Import guest file system index" check box while importing backup files back to the backup console?

Thanks!