Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Veeam Explorer for Exchange - Beta - issue

Post by kewnev »

Hello All,

The download self-generated email said to send feedback to these Forums. I wasn't sure whether I should be using an existing forum thread or start a new one .. apologies if I'm doing things the wrong way. Also, I couldn't find a forum specifically for beta testers. Set me straight if needed.

We are using ..
Exchange Server 2010 SP1
Veeam Explorer for Exchange 1.0.0.295 beta2
Veeam for Hyper-V 6.1

Firstly, I'd like to say, thankyou for making this tool, it will be invaluable for us.

I couldn't find any blogs that described how to actually use the product. After installing and attempting to add a store, I am asked to Browse to the EDB and logs. To me this sounded like the files needed to be pre-extracted from the Veeam backup first, which didn't make sense. I then realised & assumed that you needed to mount the Exchange Server's VM partitions first...

1. In Veeam B&R, go to "Backups and Replication" -> Backups -> and expand the backup job, to show the VMs that have been backed up
2. Right click on the backup for the Exchange Server VM, select "Restore Guest Files (Windows)". Follow the steps to choose the restore point that you want to restore Exchange data from.
3. When you click the Finish button, the "Backup Browser" will appear within a few moments.
4. Click on the "Explorer" button in the Backup Browser toolbar. This will mount the restore point for the VM into the C:\veeamflr\ folder.
5. You now run Veeam Explorer for Exchange, click "Add Store", and browse into the C:\veeamflr\ folder, and select the MDB and log files.

The first question is, am I using the correct procedure so far?

If so, it is from here that I'm running into trouble.

When I try to select the Logs folder I get this error:

"Index (zero-based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list."
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Veeam Explorer for Exchange - Beta - issue

Post by dellock6 »

Hi,
I tested the tool last week and I created a full blog post that is going to come out on thursday, I will share the link once it's out. About your questions:

- I think ESE (Extensible Storage Engine) is missing because of Microsoft licensing, Veeam I suppose is not authorize to insert the binaries in their product. It's a small step anyway, simply pick your exchange server or the installation DVD, search for the file "ese.dll" and copy it to the veeam server, and then link it in the Veeam Explorer options
- about the restore, once you have run the file level recovery of the exchange server, leave the FLR open and go to the veeamflr directory as you did, it's correct. In Veeam Explorer mount the EDB database and start browsing it.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

hi Luca,

I had already browsed and selected ESE.dll , so had no issue there.

What I have tried instead is extracting the database and logs file to the local c: disk, and then tried Adding the store. And it worked. So it seems it doesn't work for me when using the mounted Veeam area. So some type of bug there.

Once getting in, the mailboxes are enumerated. All good.

But when I try to export to PST I get the error "64-bit version of MS Outlook not installed". Surely it can be made to support 32-bit Outlook too..!

dellock6 wrote:Hi,
I tested the tool last week and I created a full blog post that is going to come out on thursday, I will share the link once it's out. About your questions:

- I think ESE (Extensible Storage Engine) is missing because of Microsoft licensing, Veeam I suppose is not authorize to insert the binaries in their product. It's a small step anyway, simply pick your exchange server or the installation DVD, search for the file "ese.dll" and copy it to the veeam server, and then link it in the Veeam Explorer options
- about the restore, once you have run the file level recovery of the exchange server, leave the FLR open and go to the veeamflr directory as you did, it's correct. In Veeam Explorer mount the EDB database and start browsing it.

Luca.
Kostya
Veeam Software
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Kostya Yasyuk

Post by Kostya »

kewnev wrote:When I try to select the Logs folder I get this error: "Index (zero-based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list."
Hi kewnev, to assist you with this issue we would need the screenshot with the corresponding error message as well as the debug log files from this folder:

Code: Select all

“C:\ProgramData\Veeam\ExchangeExplorer\Logs”. 
Could you please forward this information to our support team with this tag in the subject “[VEXbeta]”?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kewnev wrote:But when I try to export to PST I get the error "64-bit version of MS Outlook not installed". Surely it can be made to support 32-bit Outlook too..!
As far as I know there were some technical issues in supporting x86 Outlook Clients. Currently only Outlook x64 can be used if you want to export Exchange data to PST.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

I have to admit that this is a bit disappointing.. I would say the vast majority of organisations would be using 32-bit Outlook. Even MS themselves recommend that 32-bit Outlook be used. Ah well, not the end of the world, I'll just have to set up a separate VM with Outlook 64 installed.
Vitaliy S. wrote: As far as I know there were some technical issues in supporting x86 Outlook Clients. Currently only Outlook x64 can be used if you want to export Exchange data to PST.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also because you would need to install Outlook x64 on the Veeam Server, and since Veeam Explorer too requires a 64 bit version of Windows, why don't you create a full 64 bit machine?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Luca is spot on, you just need Outlook x64 on Veeam Server machine, machine where you initiate almost all the restores from.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

For sure, the more I think about it, the less of an issue it becomes.. it's all good.
dellock6 wrote:Also because you would need to install Outlook x64 on the Veeam Server, and since Veeam Explorer too requires a 64 bit version of Windows, why don't you create a full 64 bit machine?

Luca.
tietzjd
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe Tietz

Post by tietzjd » 2 people like this post

Here is feed back from the team that runs the Cloud side of the house:
Holy pantalones! Veeam’s Exchange Explorer is really sweet.
I wasn’t sure how to best use it, and I needed to take a few cracks at it, but I’ve come up with a very quick and dirty way of doing Exchange item level restores (for free ):

1. Proceed with a Veeam file level recovery (Windows Guest files)
2. Select the desired VM and restore date
3. Click Finish

This causes the Veeam server to mount the full backup to a explorable temp directory (C:\veeamflr\etc…)
Use Exchange Explorer to now browse to the *.EDB (C:\veeamflr\etc...)
Rip what you need to PST or even email individual mail items right from the explorer.

This just reduced our mail item restore procedure by 30 minutes or more. So cool.
It's all about efficiencies going forward. Looking forward to more products that will help drive down our per VM cost.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Awesome feedback!
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Nice feedback. And the described way is exactly the way to go. No need to extract anything as you only need read access to the DB and the logfiles :-)
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

The "Index (zero-based)" error I was getting when using Veeam Explorer on my Win7 x64 PC with Veeam Free version installed.

I have now installed Veeam Explorer for Exchange on our WinServ2008R2 machine with Veeam B&R Standard . Using the same procedure, I am now getting a different error at the same spot..

"Input string was not in a correct format".

I have sent the details to support.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a small update for those who will face the same issue.

In order to resolve this problem, please specify the following registry key on the machine with Veeam B&R server installed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication\EnableHvVdk = 1 (DWORD)
On applying this registry key, please restart Veeam B&R console.

P.S. Thank you Nev for your assistance with troubleshooting this issue!
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

Thanks Vitaliy,
I can confirm that the registry key fixes this error :)
Out of curiousity, I take it that this affects just Hyper-V users? (just an assumption from the "Hv" part of the key).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Correct.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

For anyone that wants a simple and automated way to add the registry value, simply run this command at the administrator command prompt..

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication" /v EnableHvVdk /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

I can also confirm that the reg key has eliminated the "Index (zero-based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list" error I was receiving on the Windows7 PC running Veeam B&R Free edition.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

VEFE Seems to work with Public folders too .. nice!!
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

I spoke a bit too soon regarding the Public Folders..

The PST export seems to work, but only a couple of folders show up in the resulting PST, and they are empty.
The weird thing is that if I check the "Folder Size" of the PST it lists the folders and the number of messages in each. So it's like they're there but invisible.

Will submit the issue to support when I get a minute.
kewnev wrote:VEFE Seems to work with Public folders too .. nice!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kewnev wrote:Will submit the issue to support when I get a minute.
Yes, please do it.
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

I have found that the problem isn't actually with Public Folders. It affects Public Folders and Mailboxes:
Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, Notes are not showing in the exported PST. They are in there somewhere because when you check the Folder Size it shows the folder names in there and the size of the folder. But these items are invisible in Outlook for some reason..
Have submitted the problem to support.
Curious whether others are having this same problem?
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

All sorted!
Public Folders do show the items, you simply need to go into the Folder List (Ctrl-6).
And as for Mailbox Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, Notes .. I had an absolute brain fade about this. They don't show in the usual folders area, they show in the Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, Notes subsections within Outlook! I already knew this, don't know what I was thinking..!

kewnev wrote:I have found that the problem isn't actually with Public Folders. It affects Public Folders and Mailboxes:
Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, Notes are not showing in the exported PST. They are in there somewhere because when you check the Folder Size it shows the folder names in there and the size of the folder. But these items are invisible in Outlook for some reason..
Have submitted the problem to support.
Curious whether others are having this same problem?
roostermiester
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: The Roostermiester

Post by roostermiester »

After trying to load up a 2010 SP2 PF DB in Exchange Explorer, the tool listed 0 items in every folder. According to Veeam support Case # 00177189: "At this time we only support recovery from personal mailboxes, so Public folders are not supported in VEX currently."
Now you know.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This is incorrect response from support, we do support Public Folders with Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

... and feedback from the field regarding to Public Folders is great. Please escalate the support ticket.