Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevenfoo
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steven Foo

Backup Setup Cannot Reuse Old .VBK

Post by stevenfoo »

I think I have posted this message but it seems missing from the forum.

I have created the few VMware host server in Veeam. Initially I created a backup to backup vm1 and it run fine at the first backup job.
The path was to \\backvm\vm1. The vbk file was there.

I then remove the VMware host server for a testing. It seems to remove the old settings and related stuff as well. (eg. Backup -> Backup).

I reimported the vbk file and there I see vm1_imported.

I re-created a new backup job pointed to \\backvm\vm1. However Veeam prompt me an error stating the vbk file is already exist.

I can't continue from here. So I have to rename \\backvm\vm1 to \\backvm\vm2. Then I created \\backup\vm1.
After that I re-created the job and now it works as there is no vbk file in \\backup\vm1.

I wanted to Veeam to recognize the old vbk so that it can continue to backup instead of starting from new again.
This is of no good as we have duplicate large vbk files in the storage now.

So I remove \\backup\vm1 (no vbk file) and rename \\backvm\vm2 to \\backvm\vm1.

When I run the backup there is an error:
Processing object "VM1" (1 of 1) Backup file already exists

If I accidentally remove the schedule backup job, how to I make Veeam to reuse the vbk so that when I create a new job it will recognize the vbk file and use it back ?

This is very serious if we can't reuse it as it seem to break the chain of the backup and auditor will question the credibility of Veeam software.

Veeam assistance if greatly appreciated.
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Re: Backup Setup Cannot Reuse Old .VBK

Post by ssimakov »

Steven, that's right, with the current version if you lose your database with all the backup history and configuration you can't point new backup jobs to the existing backup files. Neither will importing help as this feature serve for restore purposes at the moment. We are looking for implementing recognition of existing backups however right now newly created backup jobs will run from scratch.
stevenfoo
Expert

Post by stevenfoo »

hi ssimakov,

How long will customer have to wait for this new feature to be implemented ?

I think another feature is to allow the network location path to be change. Currently once you created the job it's grey off.

We hope you could release a patch or something for us as soon as possible. We can't be waiting for another 6 months to 1 year down the road.

Thanks
Steven
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steven, we are planning to add capability of changing the network location path in Veeam Backup 4.0 (end of Q3).
stevenfoo
Expert

Post by stevenfoo »

Gostev,

We have just purchased Veeam 3.1 and implemented it 1 week go.

In that case, will we able to upgrade to Veeam 4.0 without any further cost too get the new features?

How about the "implementing recognition of existing backups" ? Will it be Veeam 4.0 as well ?

We are on the disadvantage side currently and running Veeam at below the expectation.

Kindly let me know

Regards
Steven
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello Steven, yes upgrades between versions are free for all customers on maintenance (and one year of maintenance is included with new licenses purchase). "Recognition of existing backup" is not a part of 4.0 release however. Thank you.