Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marcottt
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Tonoli

Can i use a single full file from a chain for dr.

Post by marcottt »

Hy, my customer need to copy sometimes a full file to tape for dr.
My question, maybe stupid but wanna be' sure, is: Can i copy a random choose full file from a incremental (or riverse incremental) and geti it on tale for dr solution? This single file Can be' imported in case of disaster without the previous incremental chain?

This is important because if is not true i need to male a second "short" job to reduce the files to copy on tape.

Thanks
Marco
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Can i use a single full file from a chain for dr.

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Marco,
every VBK file is a full and self-sufficient backup file, go with it :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hello, Marco. Yes, any single full backup file (VBK) can be offloaded to tape and then imported for recovery in case of disaster. In this case you will be able to restore to this single restore point (the day when this full backup was created).

Could you please clarify your customer's scenario? How often does he need to offload backups to tape?
marcottt
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Tonoli

Post by marcottt »

thanks to all,
my customer need to offload a full backup sometimes, about 4 weeks but now thanks to veeam i'll give him possibility to offload after a weekend every week.
Some times ago i tried in lab a replication seeding and was some problem with the only vbk file for the seed, without the previous incremental file, but was a test in a cheap lab so many problem maybe generated the issue.
I do this post because maybe normal than a singole vbk is full and self-sufficient backup file but i wanna be sure of this becasue in the IT world not always normal situation are effective true.
So my customer can do a single job with about 40 point in time one at night and a full every weekend. I'll say to him to offload to tape the last vbk every monday.
Thanks to all

Marco